Prayers and thoughts needed.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
I became a father on 07-23-2011 at 9:23 pm, Dalton Arthur Bolduan was 9lbs 3oz, 20.5 inches long and was very healthy! After 12 hours of labor Traci (my wife) was tired, she pushed for a little over three hours, and the Doctor moved us to get a c-section. Traci is recoveing very quickly and I am glad to have her home with me today.

Dalton on the other hand decided to breath shallow and fast the first two nights, breaths per min should be uder 60, he was 75+. (All of his vitals were perfect minus this one). The Doctor ran a bunch of blood test and normal routine baby stuff on Saturday and Sunday. One of the blood test showed a gram+ cocci bacteria, another one showed staff bacteria, and the x-ray of his lungs showed a tiny hole (which I guess is fairly common and usually heals on its own).

Dalton was then placed on some antibiotics and put under a "fish tank" which pumps in 60% more oxygen then normal, this was done to help heal his lung, which they thought was causing his shallow breathing. They took more blood and sent them to the lab, we got those results back this morning and he was all clear, not a single sight of bacteria! His breathing is still alittle high at times but it does come down to where it should be most of the time.

The Doctor wants to make sure all the bacteria is completely gone and not in his blood stream anywhere. So he is under going a spinal tap this afternoon and being placed on a different antibiotic to make sure any remaing bacteria is wiped out. Dalton will remain in the Hospital for 10 day starting today. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers SVTP! Has any one had this done to there child???

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Prayers sent and will continue to send them for a while for the little guy. Seems he's responding really well and getting better already. Just try and get some sleep and hang in there. Your wife I'm sure will need some support.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
My thoughts are definitely with you.

Molly (fiveohhhstang) and I's twins were born 2 1/2 months early and, in addition to steroid shots, needed to be on a few different things to help make sure their lungs developed properly.

There was never any worry for the doctors, being that it's a common thing with premies, but it absolutely breaks your heart to see them in the container they are in without being able to hold them or do much. It was a really hard thing to go through. However, they were finally able to come home after a month, but what a long month that was.

Now they are monsters, and I can't give them away.

oldmodman

Established Member
Congratulation on your new baby!

And I can't imagine anything scarier than having to look at your new baby through a plastic medical device.

Dalton will be home happy and healthy in no time.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Thanks guys, the hardest part is not being able to do anything about the situation! They wont/cant feed him if he is breathing to fast other wise he will choke on the formula. Knowing why he was upset and not being able to feed him was horrible when he did get to eat last night and today he downed a 2 oz bottle in 4-6 min every 3 hours :beer:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I became a father on 07-23-2011 at 9:23 pm, Dalton Arthur Bolduan was 9lbs 3oz, 20.5 inches long and was very healthy! After 12 hours of labor Traci (my wife) was tired, she pushed for a little over three hours, and the Doctor moved us to get a c-section. Traci is recoveing very quickly and I am glad to have her home with me today.

Dalton on the other hand decided to breath shallow and fast the first two nights, breaths per min should be uder 60, he was 75+. (All of his vitals were perfect minus this one). The Doctor ran a bunch of blood test and normal routine baby stuff on Saturday and Sunday. One of the blood test showed a gram+ cocci bacteria, another one showed staff bacteria, and the x-ray of his lungs showed a tiny hole (which I guess is fairly common and usually heals on its own).

Dalton was then placed on some antibiotics and put under a "fish tank" which pumps in 60% more oxygen then normal, this was done to help heal his lung, which they thought was causing his shallow breathing. They took more blood and sent them to the lab, we got those results back this morning and he was all clear, not a single sight of bacteria! His breathing is still alittle high at times but it does come down to where it should be most of the time.

The Doctor wants to make sure all the bacteria is completely gone and not in his blood stream anywhere. So he is under going a spinal tap this afternoon and being placed on a different antibiotic to make sure any remaing bacteria is wiped out. Dalton will remain in the Hospital for 10 day starting today. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers SVTP! Has any one had this done to there child???

Yes, almost exactly.
Very hard leaving to go home and she had to stay there. I don't wish that on anybody.
The wife was recovering and wanted to breast feed.
I made many many 30mile trips in the middle of the night to the hospital. I would stay there and sit and just watch her under the hood.

She's 14 now and I'm happy to say she is 100% normal including the teenage attitude.

Tunink

Established Member
Congrats on the baby, hope the wife feels better, and prayers sent!

God bless you brother!

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
You and your family are in our prayers! Congratulations on Dalton. We got us a new motor head in the making. =)

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Prayers are with you. Like Kyle said, our twins were born at 30 weeks and were in the NICU for 4 weeks on ventilators, respirators, oxygen and feeding tubes so we have an idea of what you are going through. It's hard to see your little one hooked up to machines and not be able to hold them. They are now in the 90th percentile for height and weight and doing awesome, and I'm sure your little guy will be the same way. Sounds from your post like he is doing great, though, and that's awesome news. I hope he is able to come home with you very soon!

ssssnake

Established Member
Yes, almost exactly.
Very hard leaving to go home and she had to stay there. I don't wish that on anybody.
The wife was recovering and wanted to breast feed.
I made many many 30mile trips in the middle of the night to the hospital. I would stay there and sit and just watch her under the hood.

She's 14 now and I'm happy to say she is 100% normal including the teenage attitude.

Same here. There were times I said, "just go ahead and give him the bottle," I was so tired.

First of all Jack, congratulations on the birth of your son. My prayers are with you and your wife for healing for her and Dalton.

Secondly, I had the same experience with the birth of my son. He was a big boy like Dalton, which is basically why he has this problem. My son, Brandon, was 9 lbs. 10 oz. and almost 23" long. He started breathing before he was born and breathed meconium (which is a nice word for "poop") into his lungs, which, in turn, ate a whole in his lung. The doctor told me that the hole would close pretty quickly, but they were concerned about the air that was in his chest cavity which could travel to his heart.

They put a little plexiglass dome over his head and filled it with oxygen to absorb the air. He stayed in the hospital for only three days after I did.

I say a prayer that little Dalton's lungs will heal, and he will be home soon. BTW my little one just celebrated his 33rd birthday. ;-)

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Glad to hear everything turned out well, OP. Our daughter was born 3 weeks early with fairly severe jaundice. She had to stay under the lights for a week, had to have blood drawn at least a couple dozen times, and even got an IV at less than a week old. Funny thing is, she took it all like a champ. The nurses said she's the only baby they've ever seen who didn't throw an absolute fit when getting an IV. She just fussed a little bit, and that was the end of it.

Anyhow, it's certainly hard to sit on the sidelines when your children are in distress. But you have to trust that the doctors know what they're doing, and be strong. Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread