Practical to switch back and forth between gas and e85?

cj428mach

Established Member
I would like to increase my power and E85 seems like the best way to go so I'm starting to research if this is a real option for me.

The Car- 03 Cobra with a 2.3 Whipple, SCT2400, BAP, & 60's currently running 15lbs but will go up to 16-17 during the warmer weather. (Kansas is a 91 octane state) My car is nice weather only car and will probably see 1-2000 miles a year.

The Problem- I live in a small town where E85 isn't available, but 20 miles away from me is the big city of Wichita that does have several E85 stations. When car show season comes I'll probably be in Wichita around E85 stations once every month or month and a half.

Is it really practical to be swapping fuel and tunes often? The cobra only has 7500 miles on it so driving 40 miles round trip just to fill up is out of the question but if I could have the car setup for E85 and whenever I just get lucky enough to find it or be in the area make the switch that sounds tempting.

If I'm low on one fuel can you just throw in the other or do you have to completely drain the system then refill with the alternate fuel?

Now I realize if I was to go E85 I'll probably need more MAF, 80's, Pumps and maybe return fuel system so don't blast me telling me I can't cut it with what I have....as I'm aware.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You're averaging very close mileage to what I do per month....roughly 150. I live 18 miles one way from the nearest E85 pump and I fill up about once a month. The 36 mile cruise doesn't bother me in the least. I've been converted over to E85 for over 18 months now and once you get a taste of the corn power, you won't be going back to the wimpy gasoline tune, trust me. You will find the 40 mile round trip per month to fill up is not a big deal and in reality, is probably good for the car and charging system to stretch its legs. Fuel mileage will be much better cruising highway speed out of throttle than people might lead you to believe. It will primarily guzzle corn on WOT only. You will still arrive back in your garage with the vast majority of your tank.

Now if I was anticipating a road trip of significant mileage, I would switch. Or, I would switch in case of an emergency....very easy to do if needed. I just think you'll find it's not needed or desired at all once you convert.

cj428mach

Established Member
You're averaging very close mileage to what I do per month....roughly 150. I live 18 miles one way from the nearest E85 pump and I fill up about once a month. The 36 mile cruise doesn't bother me in the least. I've been converted over to E85 for over 18 months now and once you get a taste of the corn power, you won't be going back to the wimpy gasoline tune, trust me. You will find the 40 mile round trip per month to fill up is not a big deal and in reality, is probably good for the car and charging system to stretch its legs. Fuel mileage will be much better cruising highway speed out of throttle than people might lead you to believe. It will primarily guzzle corn on WOT only. You will still arrive back in your garage with the vast majority of your tank.

Now if I was anticipating a road trip of significant mileage, I would switch. Or, I would switch in case of an emergency....very easy to do if needed. I just think you'll find it's not needed or desired at all once you convert.

Whats the procedure to change from one fuel to the next, obviously change pullies/tune but what fuel related things? I'm one of those people that likes to feel safe, and secure. :whine: I want to know if I'm in an area where no E85 is that I can get some sort of fuel and get home then not regret it later. Also Wichita is probably 20 miles south of me and has E85, but no other town North, West, or East of me within 100+ miles that has the stuff. I just like to know I have other options.

Thanks for the response by the way.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Whats the procedure to change from one fuel to the next, obviously change pullies/tune but what fuel related things? I'm one of those people that likes to feel safe, and secure. :whine: I want to know if I'm in an area where no E85 is that I can get some sort of fuel and get home then not regret it later. Also Wichita is probably 20 miles south of me and has E85, but no other town North, West, or East of me within 100+ miles that has the stuff. I just like to know I have other options.

Thanks for the response by the way.

It all depends on how radical you setup for the E85. If you desire to go big (22psi e85) and change pulleys (say 17psi for gas)..then that's something you will have to change to switch back (although you could get the tuner to do an emergency 22psi pump gas tune that's massively detuned on the timing and not switch pulleys). Just run the E85 down to as low as you can on E, fill her up with pump gas and drop in the pump gas tune. It's not difficult or dangerous....although it will be more complicated if you have to change pulleys in a parking lot. You'll need to carry your handheld, pulley, and tools to change. This is a 100-150 hp difference in tunes.

Now let's say you don't want to go that big.....just desire a 40hp-50hp difference....you could get a 17psi E85 tune and never have to worry about changing pulleys. Just run the fuel down, fill her up, drop in the tune and you're on the way.

I like big :thumbsup: My E85 tune makes about 150 more to the wheel and necessitates a pulley change (not a big deal to me). It's very addictive, I've never gone back to gas.

cj428mach

Established Member
It all depends on how radical you setup for the E85. If you desire to go big (22psi e85) and change pulleys (say 17psi for gas)..then that's something you will have to change to switch back (although you could get the tuner to do an emergency 22psi pump gas tune that's massively detuned on the timing and not switch pulleys). Just run the E85 down to as low as you can on E, fill her up with pump gas and drop in the pump gas tune. It's not difficult or dangerous....although it will be more complicated if you have to change pulleys in a parking lot. You'll need to carry your handheld, pulley, and tools to change. This is a 100-150 hp difference in tunes.

Now let's say you don't want to go that big.....just desire a 40hp-50hp difference....you could get a 17psi E85 tune and never have to worry about changing pulleys. Just run the fuel down, fill her up, drop in the tune and you're on the way.

I like big :thumbsup: My E85 tune makes about 150 more to the wheel and necessitates a pulley change (not a big deal to me). It's very addictive, I've never gone back to gas.

I like what I've read about your car so that's kind of where I want to take mine. I figure 21-22lbs E85 then if I had to go back then I'd just swap pullies/tunes. With just a flat blade screw driver, belt and pulley it only takes about 5 mins to swap it all over. So I'm glad to hear its not a big deal to mix the two fuels. I think if I planned things right I could get E85 in the tank 80-90% of the time without really making it a big hassle for myself, but I just want that option for pump gas just in case.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member

This is how I do mine. My only station is about 15 miles away. The switch is easy if I need to do it and at 16 psi I pick up about 55 rwhp with my E-85 tune.
Plus it smells like a martini going down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread