PPRV Delete - Easy Install

WildWillyWalker

Established Member
Since there is so much talk about this, I thought it couldn't hurt to share another experience. I know I was trying to find out as much as I could about this subject.

After installing the 03/04 Cobra dual fuel pump setup and tank in my 04 supercharged Saleen, I started getting a nasty hesitation anytime I tried to shift fast. For a split second the car just loses all power. I didn't know what the problem was until I was finally told about the pprv delete from someone who had the same problem when he swapped in a full terminator setup in his Sn95. From what I've read, the PPRV is a valve on the sending unit that prevents fuel draining back into the tank to aid in startup. It's quite a restriction in the fuel system and when upping the horsepower, it can cause the hesitation during shifting. I'm suprised because my car doesn't quite make 360hp and I'm having this problem. I purchased the pprv delete hose (and 6 hose clamps) from AD Auto Parts: PPRV Delete Hose Kits, AD AutoParts

I chose to replace only the hose from the y fitting to the sending unit and copied this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/762154-my-pprv-delete.html

Tank removed:
2012-06-27_12-12-47_569.jpg

Did Carter make the original Cobra pumps?:
2012-06-27_14-29-21_391.jpg

Sending Unit out in all it's glory:
2012-06-27_12-16-24_298.jpg

Pop the line out of the little plastic clip:
2012-06-27_12-17-09_430.jpg

Cut the line off of the y junction and sending unit hat:
2012-06-27_12-23-38_804.jpg

The culprit:
2012-06-27_12-25-03_591.jpg

Ready for the new hose:
2012-06-27_12-25-13_422.jpg

You won't believe how tight this is. I got blood blisters trying to push this hose on the y connector. I used boiling water and could only get it on about half way. It finally took a heat gun to get it on this far. I'm hoping it doesn't pop off because it stretched into an oval. Time will tell:
2012-06-27_14-04-41_292.jpg

No kinks with this hose:
2012-06-27_14-18-20_336.jpg

You can reuse the plastic clip. Looks good as new:
2012-06-27_14-22-57_47.jpg

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
nice lil' write up. so have you put it to the test yet? hesitation issue resolved now?

this is a mod i plan on doing in the near future. i get the dreaded hesitation on occasions, and i hate it.

Ortiz99

Established Member
Looks like you used the heat gun a little too close for too long. I had the same issue when I did mine but it never failed on me so hopefully it wont on yours either. Otherwise looks good :beer:

SlowYellow

Established Member
Looks good. I got blisters on my thumbs from pushing that hose on all of the fittings too. Thumbs were a little tender for a week or so, but totally worth it!!

WildWillyWalker

Established Member
nice lil' write up. so have you put it to the test yet? hesitation issue resolved now?

this is a mod i plan on doing in the near future. i get the dreaded hesitation on occasions, and i hate it.

I only tested it a little on the way home. The hesitation was totally gone. I drive like a granny and never really beat on my car so I shouldn't have a problem, haha. It's currently parked until I get fittings made to mount my s/c Lightning coolant pump. I just hope that if the hose fails, they wait until after Mustang Week. :D

WildWillyWalker

Established Member
Looks like you used the heat gun a little too close for too long. I had the same issue when I did mine but it never failed on me so hopefully it wont on yours either. Otherwise looks good :beer:

It's not the heat gun that made the hose oval shaped. It literally stretched so tight over the plastic y piece that the hose deformed the only way it could.

SilverSnake5854

Established Member
ok, just installed my new AD hoses for my pprv delete, I decided to do all 3 since the original are over 9 years old, after fighting with the damn Y-block, boiling water, punches, heatgun, etc. i decided to sand down the barbs on the Y a little bit, i used 180 grit paper and knocked down the sharp points on all 3 barbs on all 3 connections, being careful, to leave ridges for the hose to hold on to. after that and some more heat and punches, i was actually able to get the hoses all the way on till they hit the stop, they are still really tight and still a bitch to get on all the way, but im not doing this again so i will definatly be adding clamps.. thought this might help someone who wants their hoses on all the way, and yes my fingers hurt like a bitch!

Users who are viewing this thread