Powering car for indoor show?

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I wont need to start the car (obviously since the show is indoors) but what is the best way to power a cars accessories (radio, interior lighting, underhood lighting, etc.) for an extended period?

Can I use a battery tender? 120v to 12v inverter? Any advice will help. Electronics are not my strength lol.:??:

Ky GT500

Established Member
You going to have electric at CC??? Battery tender will work, just slow. Regular charger may work better if you can hide it in your display. I had my car at CC a couple years ago, just disconnected battery so I could open the doors with no drain. Other than running radio,, if you have electric, you can setup lighting without using the car battery.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Keep this in mind.
From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual v3, page 66.

Battery Saver
The battery saver will shut off the interior lamps 10 minutes after the ignition has been turned to the off position and a door is left open, and in 30 minutes if the dome lamp control is left on and the ignition has been turned to the off position. The battery saver will also shut off the trunk lamps in 30 minutes if the trunk is left open.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
How do you sign up for CC?
I will have to work at the show.. But if I have my car there and I'm there I might be able to get out of it

Ky GT500

Established Member
Have to register online,,,,unless they have space,,,probably full and to late to get in. They have already selected the cars.

Were are you working??

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I did "order" electric on my application. I applied almost 2 months ago and recently was told I'm on "stand by" bc my app was late. We'll see.

Right now I'm so tired of hearing people's opinion of my car in another thread on here, I might just say F it and not do it. We'll see. I'll def go check out the show either way.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
You going to have electric at CC??? Battery tender will work, just slow. Regular charger may work better if you can hide it in your display. I had my car at CC a couple years ago, just disconnected battery so I could open the doors with no drain. Other than running radio,, if you have electric, you can setup lighting without using the car battery.
Might use the radio a bit but Mainly wanted to use led lights under the hood. Not my choice but it draws attention to the engine. Plus I'll have the hood supported at half open so there needs to be some light under there.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Might use the radio a bit but Mainly wanted to use led lights under the hood. Not my choice but it draws attention to the engine. Plus I'll have the hood supported at half open so there needs to be some light under there.

What kind of LEDS you using?? Ones from Lowes or 12 volt ones from auto parts stores??

Who cares what others say about your car,,,do what you want, it's your car!!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Most indoor shows require disconnecting the battery once parked. You should also check and see if they have a maximum fuel level allowed in the tank. Often, it is 1/4 tank or less to go in the building.

Tom

Blue Snake

SLACKER Poster
Established Member
Most indoor shows require disconnecting the battery once parked. You should also check and see if they have a maximum fuel level allowed in the tank. Often, it is 1/4 tank or less to go in the building.

Tom

Correct, but the Battery converter will keep the car powered, As for time turning your power off just leave the key on.
A locking gas cap is also usually required, or you have to put a stupid piece of tape on your gas cap and that would be ugly as hell on a new Mustang.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
What kind of LEDS you using?? Ones from Lowes or 12 volt ones from auto parts stores??

Who cares what others say about your car,,,do what you want, it's your car!!

I would rather use 12v leds. I typically use the nicer SMD 5050 led strips for 12v applications. I could just buy 120v led lights and plug them in for the CC show but i want the ability to use them at cruise-ins throughout the year where wall outlets are not available. Not to mention they will be nice since we dont have any underhood lights. So that's why i was looking to power the car for this show (longer than any show i will ever do lol) by 120v. If that makes any sense at all lol.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member

Tom

Both are true for this car show ;-)

Radio Shack actually has a 15A power supply that I was told to use earlier today. You actually disconnect the battery and connect to it and you effectively run your car by the 120v wall outlet. Anyone seen these? Kinda pricey though. $69. I really wonder if the LEDs would drain much pwer anyways. just get the battery tender and let it "catch up" with the led power drain.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
What you want is a Battery converter, I have one and it has been used at SEMA by my friend in his 54 ford truck. I use it all the time at car shows indoor and outdoor. i actually use a Honda generator to power it at outdoor shows.
mine is something like this.
55 Amp 3 Stage Converter - Fieldstone PM3-55 - Converter/Chargers - Camping World

Heres the one I was told to use. I was told tha 15A is all that is needed to power accessories (don't need cranking amps)...??? Basically it would replace the battery at the show.
13.8VDC 15-Amp Power Supply : Power Supplies | RadioShack.com

Users who are viewing this thread