"Powered by Ford" coil covers for $200 and up?!?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I was searching for some prices on a set of 99-04 valve covers and timing cover, and a few auctions were up for the Ford GT "Powered by Ford" coil covers and they are now going for $200 or more! Did they stop making these altogether or what?!

On a related note, I want to get my set of valve covers and the timing cover powdercoated and for wrinkle black I got a quote for $150 or so. My question however is I'm wondering if I can sell my existing stock plain-jane valve covers and timing cover for at least the cost of powdercoating, if not more? It would be great to finally get this done, and I would get my money back after I sell the stuff and enjoy my powdercoated pieces.

4a7191a

Established Member
mine are powdercoated white to match the car and ive got my coil covers powdercoated black. its pretty sharp looking :) ive always like the cobra valvecovers myself. the mach1's were rather crappy in 04.... unpainted aluminum looks like crap after a few years, something had to be done.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Kind of like the "Ford Racing" A-arms (AKA OEM 03/04 cobra). They used to sell for around $160/pair now they're around $400/pair. Ford will tell you it's raw materials, manufacturing, shipping, labor increasing but I think they up the price because they can and people still buy the parts.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The Powered by Ford covers have been going for that price for a quite awhile now, I sold a set for $250 about a year ago.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
mine are powdercoated white to match the car and ive got my coil covers powdercoated black. its pretty sharp looking :) ive always like the cobra valvecovers myself. the mach1's were rather crappy in 04.... unpainted aluminum looks like crap after a few years, something had to be done.

That's what got me thinking about it, followed by finding auction sales for the enormous numbers! I'm getting my VCs and TC powdercoated in the wrinkle black, and since my coil covers were hit by brake cleaner the clearcoat, or whatever it is, is coming off. I like the look of brushed aluminum, is there a way to powdercoat something with "clear" powder? If so I'll do that, since I think repeated engine washing and work will just take off the clearcoat if I were to just use high temp paint.

Users who are viewing this thread