Powercoating calipers

Oxford

Established Member
So my brother happens to have his own powder-coating set up at his house and is willing to let me refinish my calipers as they are fading. Im gonna Prob go with Red again with black lettering.

My question is can you or can you not powder coat the caliper assembled? I searched but i'm getting 50/50 on it. some say ya can some say you cant.

If I can't, can anyone share with me whats involved in the dismantling of the caliper? or a link to a write up? Id rather not mess them up and have to buy new calipers.

:thumbsup:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It is recommended/ borderline mandatory to pull the seals, get it coated then install new seals...... Good luck if your doing rears....

SVT_Troy

Established Member

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
When I did the rears, I only pulled the piston and seals around it. I left all the e-brake hardware and seals attached. We did three cars like this and have had absolutely no issues with any of the rear brakes on any of the three. Just taped off that hardware really well with the high temp tape before shooting the powder. Bleeding the rears after reassembling will take quite some time just due to their design. Speed bleeders are highly recommended for this.

Fronts are easy to take apart and reassemble. Just make very sure there is no sand in the piston bores before reassembly and replace all 4 seals.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I had rear calipers powder coated on a previous car and didn't take all the e-brake hardware out, just the main piston and the associated seals.

Everything was taped off properly and perfectly functional afterward.

Users who are viewing this thread