Power wire through the firewall

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
Hey everyone, Im about to run some power wire for my amp, but Im not sure what the best way to go is. Im running an 8ga wire and need it to go through the driver side, and to the battery. I did a little searching and this is what I found, but I havent quite made sense of where to drill the hole.

"if you are running any wires to the engine pay (main power wire for an amp) just remove the fender liner on the drivers side and feed the wire through the fender. Just take a drill and put a hole exactly where you want it in the firewall behind the liner. Works perfect."

If I go this route, the wire come into the engine bay through the square opening on the side of the fender, just under the brake booster?
On the inside of the car is where I'm unsure to drill to route the wire.

Are there any other options? I see the giant grommet under the dash, but that looks like a tight fit. How have any other Terminator owners ran this kind of wire? Im just looking for the best and hopefully easiest route.

Black306

Established Member
Just like the quote, I recommend removing the drivers side wheel well fender liner and run wires through the firewall. There is a stock harness routed through there too. The wires will come through just above the dead pedal in the cabin.

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member

Just like the quote, I recommend removing the drivers side wheel well fender liner and run wires through the firewall. There is a stock harness routed through there too. The wires will come through just above the dead pedal in the cabin.

Alright... after looking at Sagittaria's pictures, I have a much better view! So the only hole I will have to drill is one above the dead pedal? Which is easy to do when the wheel liner is out... So that leads me to my next question, How hard is the liner to take out, or take loose enough to get to where I need to drill?

and while looking at this picture, can I run the power wire through the square hole where the clear zip tie is in this picture? Instead of drilling another hole.

IMG_2170small.jpg

Sagittaria

Established Member
I did what you said when I relocated my battery. I just ran it through the opening under the master cylinder instead of drilling another hole.

Liner is easy as hell to pull out. It's held on by one screw and several push pins. A fastener removing tool (auto store) will make your life easier... or a sturdy fork. I'd go to lowes and pick up new ford pushpins though. They tend to get pretty tore up from removal and they cost like 30 cents each at lowes... don't get gyped into paying 2.50 at autozone for two.

And please buy grommets. I can see the sheet metal rubbing through and shorting out if you don;t.

Last edited:

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I did what you said when I relocated my battery. I just ran it through the opening under the master cylinder instead of drilling another hole.

Liner is easy as hell to pull out. It's held on by one screw and several push pins. A fastener removing tool (auto store) will make your life easier... or a sturdy fork. I'd go to lowes and pick up new ford pushpins though. They tend to get pretty tore up from removal and they cost like 30 cents each at lowes... don't get gyped into paying 2.50 at autozone for two.

And please buy grommets. I can see the sheet metal rubbing through and shorting out if you don;t.

I got the liner out and my wire ran without any problem. I used the supplied plastic grommet with some black RTV. I saw how easy it was to get to the fog light from this point, so I also removed the passenger side liner too. I'm going to scrub them up and throw some black paint on them.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
If you are careful you can drill straight in. I recommend you use some sort of step drill bit and make sure to use a grommet

Black306

Established Member
Alright... after looking at Sagittaria's pictures, I have a much better view! So the only hole I will have to drill is one above the dead pedal? Which is easy to do when the wheel liner is out... So that leads me to my next question, How hard is the liner to take out, or take loose enough to get to where I need to drill?

and while looking at this picture, can I run the power wire through the square hole where the clear zip tie is in this picture? Instead of drilling another hole.

IMG_2170small.jpg

You could go through the square hole, but I found it easier following the harness from the engine bay fuse panel to the firewall. The harness passes through a whole between the fuse panel and battery.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
You could go through the square hole, but I found it easier following the harness from the engine bay fuse panel to the firewall. The harness passes through a whole between the fuse panel and battery.

Thats where i went through
P1010410.jpg

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
I ended up removing the driver side wheel well and doing it that way. It was much easier to drill a hole and place the grommet that way. Plus I was able to get it right above the dead pedal behind the carpet.

Users who are viewing this thread