Power Window Problem

Super000Sonic

Established Member
My drivers side window won't go down. I suspect the motor since the passenger side still functions. When I try to put the driver's side down I can hear clicking under the dash , maybe energizing a relay ? Anyone have experience replacing these motors ? Anyone know how to remove the door panel without breaking it ? I don't see any visible screws or clips. Thanks for any information....

030.jpg

starnsey

Established Member
My drivers side window won't go down. I suspect the motor since the passenger side still functions. When I try to put the driver's side down I can hear clicking under the dash , maybe energizing a relay ? Anyone have experience replacing these motors ? Anyone know how to remove the door panel without breaking it ? I don't see any visible screws or clips. Thanks for any information....

030.jpg

Before you do anything try this once or twice:

Open the door, hold down the "down" window switch, slam the door shut. Like a little bit harder than you would if you were normally closing the door. If it doesn't work the first time give it a couple more tries. Seems to be a pretty common issue with these cars. Happened with me and when I did the above method, it seemed to fix it. I had the exact some issue you're describing.

glittle75

Established Member
I had this same issue last summer. For mine, it was a problem with how far the window was going up. The lever was going up to far and binding itself. But only sometimes, don't ask me why.

Either way, pull the door panel and at the top inside of the door you will see little 90 degree angle brackets that hard stop the window track at the top of its travel. Unbolt them just enough so you can move them, and move them down 1/8th of an inch. No more problem. Just dont move them down to much or the window wont seal at the top.

And to remove the panel, take off the corner speaker, the inside "pull cup", pull the screws on the bottom of the panel, and pull it up. A little smack on the bottom of the panel helps, then remove the harness connectors, and its out.

TKat13

Under Construction
Established Member
The rubber bushing inside your motor most likely has developed a 'flat spot' and it is sticking. Just take the motor out, carefully take it apart where the gearing is, inside you will see the black bushings, it looks like 3 round bushings connected with a circle. Hard to imagine, but when you see it you will know what I am talking about. Take it out, lubricate it and flip it so it puts pressure on a 'new side'. I used white lightening, it is still working perfectly after 4 years. It would be awesome if someone made replacement bushings like the older versions of the motors, those had three of the same circle bushings but were not connected together.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you do decide to replace the window motor vs trying to fix it as above do NOT use a doorman brand motor. I went through several of them in a year, finally made autozone credit me towards the more expensive brand with a lifetime warranty (another $20 or so) and its been fine for a long time

Super000Sonic

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the information. Oddly, I went out to work on the window, my plan was to take the door panel off to visualize the motor and wiring. Before I did anything I hit the switch just to make sure..........and bbzzzzzzzz the window worked fine and hasn't had a problem since. Ha , maybe shutting the door a few times really does work ! I will try this method the next time it won't start !

TKat13

Under Construction
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the information. Oddly, I went out to work on the window, my plan was to take the door panel off to visualize the motor and wiring. Before I did anything I hit the switch just to make sure..........and bbzzzzzzzz the window worked fine and hasn't had a problem since. Ha , maybe shutting the door a few times really does work ! I will try this method the next time it won't start !

This really confirms the problem I was explaining, it will get hot outside with your windows up and when you first get in it will not roll down. Drive around with AC, hit a few bumps and eventually it will start working. However, it will always fail when you really don't want it to; when you are hungry and in a drive-through. :)

Shirley1978

to the dark side..
Established Member
Same exact issue happened to me today. Its happened a bunch of times before.

I just hold play with the button and eventually the window starts working right again.

Users who are viewing this thread