Power:weight

nhs156

Established Member
I've always been a fan of the original Shelby Cobra from the 60s. The 427 in particular. Was surprised and impressed to learn that our 13/14 GT500 have a power:weight ratio that's very similar to that of the original 427. Based on a Shelby book I was perusing at home, the original weighed around 2,350 lbs and had 425hp, for a ratio of ~0.18hp/lb. A '13 GT500 is 3,850 lbs with 662hp for a ratio of ~0.17 hp/lb. Not bad.

Out of curiousity I looked up the new(ish) Lamborghini Aventador. It's got 30 hp more than our cars, about 100lbft less torque, but weighs nearly 4,100 lbs in stock trim, and 100 lbs more as a convertible. That's downright porky for a supercar and makes for a worse ratio than the Shelby, which surprised me.

That is all.

Naste50

Established Member
Great observations. When people ask me how fast my car is...I just say, it has a better power to weight ratio than Kanye West's Lamborghini Aventador. IT'S TRUE!

nhs156

Established Member
I was inspired to look up the Aventador stats after I saw one parked outside a local restaurant a couple of days earlier. dark gray metallic with orange brake calibers. Man, that thing was absolutely beautiful - possibly the best-looking modern car I've ever had the pleasure of laying my eyes upon. The interior was beautiful too - thanks to very obvious influence by Audi.

raustin0017

Established Member
Before I built my cobra replica I had the chance to drive a 550hp cobra. 94" wheel-base Lone Star replica wet weight of 2,350 lbs. That is the only car I have ever driven when I got out I was visibly shaking and did not want to drive on the street. Just a blip of the go-juice and you were swapping ends before you know it. My 14 Shelby is tame compared to that beast.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Before I built my cobra replica I had the chance to drive a 550hp cobra. 94" wheel-base Lone Star replica wet weight of 2,350 lbs. That is the only car I have ever driven when I got out I was visibly shaking and did not want to drive on the street. Just a blip of the go-juice and you were swapping ends before you know it. My 14 Shelby is tame compared to that beast.

And that is what made those cars dangerous and seriously fun but a handful to drive. 90" wheelbase and 68" wide and could really pump up the power in the 427 side oiler. I'd like to build one but I already have too many projects going on right now.

Imagine driving the twin supercharged super snake!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-JQksYxgM0

Last edited:

nhs156

Established Member

I've driven 3 Cobra replicas, and been a passenger in 2 - a Superformance with the same HP, a Superformance with closer to 600 hp, a Superformance with an original 427 side oiler and a couple of others. I've gotta say - I felt they handled brilliantly and felt very predictable. I actually think I got a lot less wheel hop in any of those, and less side-to-side action under hard acceleration than in the GT500. I have no desire to drive the GT500 with traction contol fully off, but strangely had no issues driving the Superformance replicas with no TC, stability control or ABS systems. Perhaps the fully independent rear suspension set ups helped - not sure.

Wonder what ever happened to the Ac Cobra 427 that Carol brought to Bill Cosiby.
I was told back then that Bill Cosby gave it back to Carol Shelby.
A true story!!!
Any one knows about that particular Shelby AC Cobra 427?

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Yep, that comedy skit by Bill Cosby "200mph" is a mostly true story. Carroll actually built him a twin supercharged 900hp cobra,cosby drove it once and gave it back to Carroll as he was afraid of it. Only 1 other was built and it sold for over 5 million at barrett jackson.

Pics
_800px_DSCN9283-cosby-engine4.jpg

1967-shelby-cobra-427-sup_800x0w.jpg

Last edited:

Turbosnake95

Established Member
Wonder what ever happened to the Ac Cobra 427 that Carol brought to Bill Cosiby.
I was told back then that Bill Cosby gave it back to Carol Shelby.
A true story!!!
Any one knows about that particular Shelby AC Cobra 427?

"Another non-competition 427 roadster, CSX3303, was converted and given to Shelby's close friend, entertainer Bill Cosby. Cosby attempted to drive the super-fast Cobra, but had issues with keeping it under control; he recounted his experience on his 1968 stand-up comedy album 200 M.P.H.. Cosby gave the car back to Shelby, who then shipped it out to one of their dealers in San Francisco, S&C Ford on Van Ness Avenue. S&C Ford then sold it to customer Tony Maxey. Maxey, suffering the same issues as Cosby did with the car, lost control and drove it off a cliff, landing in the Pacific Ocean waters." - Wikipedia

Turbosnake95

Established Member
Is it still in the Pacific Water,or was it recoverd back then.

Was recovered, rebuilt by Brian Angliss without the Supercharger's and now resides in Europe/UK somewhere...

Then again.. "in a recent late-night talk show appearance, Cosby briefly re-told this story and said that he had heard that Jimmy Webb (of "MacArthur Park" fame) eventually ended up with his Cobra."

Users who are viewing this thread