• 750hp with very mild suspension

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Full suspension - Handling on Rails

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Would you rather have a 750hp Cobra for straight line fun with mild work into the suspension that launches well, or a 500hp Cobra on rails with a full MM or Griggs suspension, K member, A arms, coil overs, stiffening, ect

Just a curiosity. Feel free to justify your choice, or not. I'm just curious how we feel about performance as Cobra owners.

zredfire04

Established Member
moar power.

i'm not a good enough driver to benefit from handling. i AM good enough to drive in a straight line though

wckdvnm

Established Member
Handling personally; you can always add power as your driving skills increase. My end goal is a car that makes 700hp on the new 2650 TVS so I can beat on it and not spin a 2300 so hard. I just enjoy turns since I live so close to canyon roads.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Troponin

Established Member
Really depends. I was just in both situations. Most of my life I just wanted the fastest thing in a straight line. I really didn't care. I had a B7 Audi S4 that handled really nicely. Got bored, but I think it's because it only had 340hp. Today, it seems like you don't have to completely give up one or the other.

That being said, I went from the HC to the CTS-V. Loved the HC. It was a blast and very comfortable. I had wanted a CTS-V for many years, but they just didn't have enough power originally. Now, 640hp and more handling than I could ever out drive, I have no regrets. I can still pulley and tune as well and be in the 10s. High end sports cars offer so much more though. I call my V a "race car with manners". It's fun to drive because it just doesn''t seem like it should pull as hard as it does because it's "only a Cadillac". Same with a lot other cars once you do a little work. You can always google lists of cars "Fastest cars for XXXXX dollars"

The new Mustangs and Camaros don't sacrifice much at all anymore. For what you pay, they both offer some pretty damn good handling. Add a supercharger or FBOs, and those cars are pretty quick.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I used to be all about the power. But now I'm having a ton of fun with my handling set up. And driving an R8 last weekend really put into perspective what a well built car can do.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
In all honesty, a good driver with a properly set up suspension can outperform and frustrate high horsepower owners.

I have seen Miatas beat Vipers due to driver experience.

I love power. I am someone that will say more is better. If you don't know what to do with that power, or if you can't put the power to the ground, you are literally just spinning your wheels.

One more note; expensive parts do not guarantee you better performance. Research, understand physics and the geometry of the entire vehicle, and adjust accordingly.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It’s the wrong platform to start with handling in mind. I would do the basic mustang suspension mods (full length subframe connectors, bushings, coil overs or a nice spring/shock/strut) and call it a day.

You’ll never get a mustang (SN-95) to “handle” close to comparable with your bone stock Audi/BMW’s without a ton of money in parts and time invested in setting it up properly. Then it takes a lot of seat time.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The allure of these cars is the bang for buck power capability out of the factory motor and a T56 and driveline renown for being able to live a long time at pretty much double factory hp/tq levels.

Handling? It handles well enough for most use. But it's not even close to a "bang for buck" ultimate rail car. The chassis alone is just simply loooooong outdated. You're fighting an endle$$ uphill battle trying to get it to perform on a tight road course. Straight line terror for those weekend cruises? It handles plenty good. You can wag the tail with predictability no problem.

Not knocking those that do strive for every ounce of ultimate handling.....you just have to realize that's not the bread n butter of this car.

94slowbra1

Established Member
both!
like its been mentioned above, these cars arent going to handle like the modern day imports or even domestic chassis. unfortunately the frame just isnt built for it without alot of $$$. with that being said i like having something that i can take a turn with and does well doing it. minus their k-member i have the MM catalog in my car plus the FTBR rear end and all of Stifflers frame supports. couple that with the brembo GT brake set up and ill say it handles pretty well. my car also makes around 700hp and ill say its a blast to drive.
i run toyo r888s out back and michelin PSS up front and they handle the twisties quite well and keep the car going in the right direction.
parts are only part of the equation, you need to have the right combo and have it set up right. and from experience it isnt cheap!

dumbstixlars

Established Member
750hp for me. The Cobra is the heaviest car I own and I can feel it when I drive it. It'll never give me the joy in turns that my smaller, lighter cars can, just like they won't even be as much fun on a big open road.

Users who are viewing this thread