Power Torque and Boost changes after JDM Cams, JLT Intake and KB TB swap

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
been meaning to post this and haven't had a chance, just wanted to put out some useful info that I have.

so....... at the beginning of 2014 I swapped to E85 and retuned my car, now I had a KB 2.8, with the KB 75mm Dual Throttle Body along with their Ford GT Style intake system, built MMR shortblock, stock heads, stock cams. all other supporting mods found in my sig. I was told the intake system was holding my car back and needed to upgrade to make any more power.

now...... by the end of 2014 I added JDM Super Stock Cams, Pac Valve springs, KB 168mm Mono Blade Throttle Body, JLT Super Big Air 148MM Intake system. the results were exactly what I wanted and you can see the differences in the graphs below, most notably is the Boost curve to me as the 2.8 would always make about 2-3 more psi of boost at the end of the rpm band from 5500 to 6500 or so. but after the cams and intake swap it builds more boost in the lower rpm and drops off at the top, mainly I think it just shows the efficiency of the cams and that they now outflow the blower being able to take in more air at the higher rpms than the blower can shove in it.

either way its interesting to see the differences and how they effect the power bands. and just to clarify the higher power graph was after the cam and intake swap. but the lower boost graph was after the cam and intake swap also. so it made those higher numbers while loosing almost 3 psi of boost.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them best I can.
Before and after Cams 1.jpgbefore and after cams boost graph 1.jpg

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

Very Nice! The boost curve now shows how much more efficient the engine is! Much safer this way and going to generate less heat in the manifold as well. Glad everything worked as planned!

devilish64

Established Member
is it realistic to install these cams in a stock shortblock 5.4 and expect to be able to use the cams in the operating range they were designed to work in? your making steam till 7K, wich would be out of the "safe" limits of a stock rodded 5.4 correct? They sound so good but I wanna be able to USE the cams if I spend the coin.... may be smarter to to build up the whole motor all at one time. EEEk

JimIII@jdm

is it realistic to install these cams in a stock shortblock 5.4 and expect to be able to use the cams in the operating range they were designed to work in? your making steam till 7K, wich would be out of the "safe" limits of a stock rodded 5.4 correct? They sound so good but I wanna be able to USE the cams if I spend the coin.... may be smarter to to build up the whole motor all at one time. EEEk

Every 10 sets of cams we sell I'd day 8-9 of those customers have stock engine internals. Even though you are increasing RPM redline with the cams you are also improving the engines efficiency, lowering cylinder pressure, and lowering internal temperatures. These factors help lower risk of detonation which will burn up pistons and or break rods. Torque is also a factor that breaks rods and how the cams shift the power curve your torque levels aren't too over powering for your rods at say 7,000 RPM. I would rather you increase your RPM than increase boost at risk of damaging your internals. You don't spend a whole lot of time at 7,000 RPM, your likely to shift well before that 99% of the time your driving the car. If you tried to make that power with a bigger blower or more boost and kept it at stock RPM, boost and torque comes in really fast and really hard which generates more stress on internals than anything else.

devilish64

Established Member
Every 10 sets of cams we sell I'd day 8-9 of those customers have stock engine internals. Even though you are increasing RPM redline with the cams you are also improving the engines efficiency, lowering cylinder pressure, and lowering internal temperatures. These factors help lower risk of detonation which will burn up pistons and or break rods. Torque is also a factor that breaks rods and how the cams shift the power curve your torque levels aren't too over powering for your rods at say 7,000 RPM. I would rather you increase your RPM than increase boost at risk of damaging your internals. You don't spend a whole lot of time at 7,000 RPM, your likely to shift well before that 99% of the time your driving the car. If you tried to make that power with a bigger blower or more boost and kept it at stock RPM, boost and torque comes in really fast and really hard which generates more stress on internals than anything else.

That was an awesome response to that question... Thanks Jim. Makes me want a set of cams even more than I did before. Im a TVS man right now and have just about everything done to the car except E85, cams and a built motor. i would love to see the car at ~850+ rwhp with some real rods and pistons and a set of your cams. a little more rpm capability would be awesome too as the car has 4.10's and the gears seem obnoxiously short sometimes mainly when next to a corvette Z06 tho... so it is what it is really.

crazyrifle

Established Member

do i have to dgree the cams ?

Users who are viewing this thread