Power steering whine

KzooMuscle

Established Member
I have been having this nagging whine from my power steering for almost 2 full summers, however, I do not have any leaks, or bubbles, and my steering is fine. It first started when I shredded my belt and strands from the belt took my power steering line out. I replaced it, did the step by step for releasing the bubbles, and it's still there, infact, it's gotten worse. Although it's only at its loudest during accelerating. I have a kenne bell, 8 rib, gates belt. Even Lidio at Alternative didn't have an answer, the only thing he could say is, "Sometimes with blowers, the tension and speed of the belt creates a whine from the P/S because it can't keep up with it"

Has anyone else encountered this mystery problem, and if so, how do I fix it?!

Last edited:

03slaminator

Established Member
Iv got the same issue right now. My car never did it up until I had the motor out of it. Now it whines only after a wot pull. It's very annoying! Hopefully we can both get it figured out. Lol.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you running the original factory fill of power steering fluid?

if you are I would suggest draining it and replacing it with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. I have cured many a noisy power steering pump and rack using their ATF.

KzooMuscle

Established Member
Great guys, I appreciate the input and I'm relieved I am not the only one that has experienced this. I will try your suggestions and hopefully one of them will cure this problem.

03slaminator

Established Member
Iv been running valvoline power steering fluid. If I can find the time to ill tray to go up and buy some stop leak and if that don't help then I'll drain it completly then go from there. Thanks. Oh and op if you figure out your problem then make sure to post back. Thanks again

Dead Mach 1

Established Member
IMO it sounds like they system is either sucking in air from some where or there my still be some air trapped isnide (probably in the hydro booster). I had to replace a master cylinder on a 2013 F550 and had to put a suction to the power steering to pull all of the air out.

Or they system is sucking in air from somewhere. I know on some cars especially Hondas ( I know I know these cars are NOT hondas) but the power steering system will pull air in and whine but they well never leak a drop. Maybe you've got a loose fitting or a seal that has gone bad and is drawing air.

Users who are viewing this thread