Power Steering pump fitting torque advice

edrosner@gmail.

Established Member
Ok, so the I have my dead/dying power steering pump off and i'm about to put the new one from Tousley Ford on tomorrow. I have a new fitting from them but i noticed that the old one was unbelievable tight. So much so that i went and checked the new pump to make sure i wasn't trying to unbolt something that was cast into the pump. I understand that the heat and wear of 95,000 miles had a bit to do with the tightness but it got me to thinking: how tight is tight enough for that new fitting. I would prefer not to strew power steering fluid throughout the city of Charlotte.

Does anybody have any torque figures for that fitting?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
The torque spec is 65nm which comes out to about 47 lb.ft. according to the service manual.

Personally I'd just use a wrench and snug it down until it feels right but not everyone is comfortable with that method and it does take a certain amount of experience and mechanical sympathy to do it that way.

edrosner@gmail.

Established Member
The torque spec is 65nm which comes out to about 47 lb.ft. according to the service manual.

Personally I'd just use a wrench and snug it down until it feels right but not everyone is comfortable with that method and it does take a certain amount of experience and mechanical sympathy to do it that way.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, i just torqued it down as tight as i could get it without rounding it off or snapping the threads. No leaks so far and your pump you sold me is working fantastic. :rockon: Had forgotten how nice it is to have power steering and a pump that doesn't sound like a dying supercharger. :)

Users who are viewing this thread