Power steering pump choice

brownsvo

Chrome of Mystic
Established Member
I bought a pump from rock auto, it's the same as what came off my car. Internally it's the same.

Difference being rock auto doesn't have pullied pumps in stock, lmr has theirs with pulley installed.

I would get it with pully.. I broke two bolts in my two pumps trying to install a new pulley lol.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Only advantage I see is the LMR is a new unit and comes with a pulley-----For me I would go with a new one-- not rebuilt.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I use LMR for everything I can. If I can’t, I then use RockAuto. In this case, I personally would go with LMR since they have it. If my first choice vendor has it, I go with it.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Rock auto shows a different pump for 2001 Cobras with dohc than the sohc 4.6, but other sites including LMR says all 4.6 pumps fit except for 2003 04 Cobras. The LMR pump is apparently a LARES manufacturing pump but on Lares web site they dont show a pump for a dohc Cobra only sohc, but here is the Lares pump which Im guessing might fit a 2001 Cobra anyways. They list many companys that sell their pumps. Lares Catalog, Might be worth checking with LMR before you buy.
Here it is on Rock Auto More Information for LARES 12214

LMRs a better deal with free shipping by about $6

Last edited:

YELOSNK

Established Member
Than
Rock auto shows a different pump for 2001 Cobras with dohc than the sohc 4.6, but other sites including LMR says all 4.6 pumps fit except for 2003 04 Cobras.

Thanks for the investigation. That said, where are you seeing rockauto show a different pump for DOHC vs SOHC? On quick inspection at least the Motorcraft and Cardone are the same part number.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I didnt look at each individual pump but Rock Auto does show differences in their look up between DOHC and SOHC, yeah some sites show the same but the Lares site shows only good for SOHC, but like I was saying im guessing its good for the DOHC also----but not 03-04 Cobra.

shurur

Established Member
I can't seem to forum lately. Maybe it's time for a break.
I took a break from the "of pure blood" posts myself..

Also most posts just remind me of what little money I have.

Currently fighting against surface rust all by myself, considering the lack of body workers and painters in this forum......also..rust and paint is not a very interesting post or topic anyway.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Maybe difference in steering pump is Teksid vs WAP block...but I thought that difference was only the water pump and pulley....dunno.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe difference in steering pump is Teksid vs WAP block...but I thought that difference was only the water pump and pulley....dunno.
The oil cooler and timing cover are the differences. The power steering pump is the same across the V8's. The difference in the water pump is long vs. short. And the oil cooler is just the gasket between aluminum and iron blocks.

YELOSNK

Established Member
I took a break from the "of pure blood" posts myself..

Also most posts just remind me of what little money I have.

Currently fighting against surface rust all by myself, considering the lack of body workers and painters in this forum......also..rust and paint is not a very interesting post or topic anyway.

Not to digress too much on my own topic but surface rust certainly is the never-ending fight. I no longer DD it in the winter, but for most of its life I did. All things considered it's in good shape, but it is a constant battle at this point, particularly the subframe connectors and rear fenders.

Users who are viewing this thread