Power Steering Pump change?s

Boomer8404

SVTP & SVTOA Member
Established Member
Over the past few weeks I have noticed the distinctive werrr noise from the P/S pump, and its been getting worse. I checked my fluid level and its good, and I don't see any bubbles popping up in the reservoir either. Which leads me to believe the P/S pump is on its way out. I have some Lucas Oil Power Steering fluid( http://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-oil-power-steering-fluid-w-conditioners ), that I'm gonna try first before changing the pump. I've gotta get me a turkey baster so I can suck some of the old fluid out first.

But in case I do need to change the P/S pump, I have searched the forums and haven't found a write up, and have yet to look at the manual, but how hard is the job? What absolutely has to be removed to get to the pump? Is it fairly easy or a PITA?

98BABCobra

Established Member
The pressure line coming out of the pump is kind of a pain to get off just because there are other things in the way, so getting a wrench in there is a little difficult, and you can only do about 1/8 of a turn at a time, so it's kind of time consuming. Other than that, the rest of it isn't as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread