Power steering Leak

Big Jay

Established Member
I have beat the piss out of the search engines looking for some solutions.

Here is what I'm dealing with. 95 Cobra, the fitting that goes into the power steering pump is fine. It is the fitting on the hose that goes into the this fitting that is leaking. Now I know there are 2 possible places for this fitting to leak. It can leak around the threads of the fitting and a simple teflon seal prevents that (and it's doesn't leak there). Or it can leak around the the tube that runs through the fitting. This is where the leak is. I can't find any information about what is used to seal that hose to the fitting.

fitting.gif

I'm curious what any of you have done to deal with this problem.

I was just thinking and I might have a simple fix. I replaced my rack with a used one (I had a manual rack in it) and the rack came with the hoses. I also had the old hoses that I removed from the car when I installed the manual rack. I used the high pressure line that looked like it was in the best condition. Is there a possibility that the fitting on the line is the wrong one? I tossed the other line. I'm trying to avoid replacing the line but I will if absolutely necessary.

luke87gt

Established Member
I don't recall anything going into that hose.

The inner seal is made against the tube and the threaded piece when you tighten it. If it's not sealing, it might be groved or you just aren't tightening it enough.

CJK440

Established Member
These are weird. If you notice, unlike an inverted flare, the hardline is allowed to swivel when the fitting is torqued down. There is a teflon seal on the nut itself and O-ring(s) in between the nut and the hard line. Those O rings must be shot. There is no seal in the area where you are asking in the pic.

As for replacing them.... Not sure. They have a one way clip setup allows the hard line to snap into the fitting but obviously not come out. I bought an OE Ford rack from Panoz on ebay. When I got it, it had the nuts secured into the rack. I guess this setup allows the assembly line workers to just snap the hard line into the nuts instead of fooling with threads.

I simply removed the nuts and reused my lines. I looked into removing the nuts off of my lines so I didn't have to go find teflon washers (I found Napa has these for a fraction of the cost of the Dorman HELP! line at A-zone or Advance) but couldn't figure it out.

I'm guessing there is a tool, but you might find it easier to buy a new line....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread