Power Steering Fluid Capacity

Mac06

Established Member
OK so I did a search and could not find the answer. Does anybody know what the fluid capacity of the Power Steering system is? I am going to drain and flush the power steering fluid and I am wondering if I should buy 2 each 16 oz bottles of fluid or 3, thanks.

Mac06

Established Member
Well since no had the answer to this question here are the results I came up with after changing the power steering fluid. I had a shop do the work but they used about 21 oz of fluid to drain and flush the power steering. They may not have gotten all of the fluid out since I read that you have to turn the wheel a lot to get it all out, but if you get a quart or 32 oz of fluid that should be plenty to do the job.

TuFFstang

Established Member
What brand power steering fluid?

What brand of power steering fluid should I use to refill the pump? I picked up 2 bottles of STP but now thinking of picking the Ford stuff.

Last edited:

Sveet01

Established Member
Go grab a Haynes manual for Mustangs.

I use it even for easy tasks just for a reference to see if there are any small things that I should do or proper fluid capacities that changed through TSB's (i.e. 3.2 quarts of manual tranny fluid instead of factory 3.8, and a little anti-sieze when installing spark plugs to prevent damage on the already frail plug threads in the head.)

Users who are viewing this thread