Power Shifting,...?

Venom98SVT

Established Member
This is going to sound really stupid, but what do you mean by "Power Shifting"?? I have an idea but I'm not really positive on what you guys really mean,.. If you guys could fill me in that would be great, it would be much appreciated. Keep the throttle down and the rpm's high my friends,...

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
i acutually just found out what it means, what u do is hold down the gas the whole time and shift basically i guess they say it saves u a few tenths i have yet to try it yet though.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Keep your foot slammed on the gas, push in clutch, shift gear, dump clutch. If you're fast enough the engine won't have enough time to bounce off the rev limiter but you have to know what you're doing. The danger is if you miss a gear or only get it half into the gate when you side-step the clutch - KABOOM!

Venom98SVT

Established Member
Thanks man, but my only question is wouldn't that cause' you to hit the rev limiter,...?? and send you into red line,... obviously you have to do it quick but,.... I take it, it would be normal to hit redline this way, am I right??

Venom98SVT

Established Member
Kaboom!! that makes me feel a lot better about it,... lol I have missed a gear maybe twice while racing,... So I think I'll be okay,... the last thing I want is detonation,... lol

love bandit2

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTman74
.2 in drag raciing is like 2 miles. hell when you watch the pros they get all happy about .001 sec better times

as in my time went HIGHER! I ran a 14.4! And it didnt sound like my drivetrain liked it too much.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by Venom98SVT
Thanks man, but my only question is wouldn't that cause' you to hit the rev limiter,...?? and send you into red line,... obviously you have to do it quick but,.... I take it, it would be normal to hit redline this way, am I right??

Practise just shifting as fast as you can normally before you try powershifting. Also, when you are going to race, make sure you move your seat forward an inch or two, to make sure you don't miss 3rd. When you powershift, you start pulling the shifter out of gear just before you start to push in the clutch. You don't actually pull it out of gear, but you should be pulling hard enough that any more and you will be. Then stab the clutch and pull harder on the shifter. You don't want to actually push the clutch to the floorboards, just a little passed the engagement point, then dump it back out. I used to think that I'd hit the limiter when I powershifted as well, but if you're quick enough, the RPM's shouldn't jump very much at all, it should be hardly noticable on the tach. Wash, rinse and repeat correctly 2 - 3 times and you should have a decent timeslip and a functioning tranny to get home with. FWIW, I gained about 2 tenths with powershifting over speedshifting (similar idea, but letting off the gas part way so that your RPMs either stay where they are or drop just a little) - my best speedshifting time was 13.7 back when my clutch still grabbed. When I went back this year, the best I could do with the slipping clutch and without powershifting was 13.8 - 13.9 (SPEC 2 and Alum. FW going in whenever I get a chance to in the next 2 weeks). With powershifting, 13.6 without too much trouble.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by love bandit2
as in my time went HIGHER! I ran a 14.4! And it didnt sound like my drivetrain liked it too much.

You are doing something wrong. You shouldn't hear anything from the drivetrain other then what you would normally hear when you drive the car hard. Powershifting always yields better times then any other sort of shifting, hands down.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
DON'T LIFT JUST SHIFT!!

lol..your car won't go kaboom if you miss a shift powershifting...that IS what the rev limiter is for (so you won't hurt the engine).

Take wylde horses advice, its very good and its how I shift. Its very hard to do when you frist try because your instinct is to let off. don't let off. My car always grinds when i powershift because I acutally put just enough pressure to yank it out and slam to the next gear. Say by by to synchros, though. THey are tough on them. Also, you really really risk wiping out a shift fork when powershifting

Also, my 3-4 shift usually results in a *clunk* and the car scooting to the side - i think its the tranny mount flexing and the DS smacking the under side of the car :shrug:

My understanding is that when you powershift, you keep forward momentum. When you shift normally, the cars nose falls and you lose gaining momentum, and when you get to the next gear, you have to gain that back. With powershifting, you don't lose that forward momentum and therefore just keep going. Quickers shifts also do a lot, too. That is just my understanding.

For an awesome example of powershifting, watch this video. Pay attention to the shift light (yes, thats a shift light, if you can see it). DON'T BLINK! you'll miss it. Listen to the 3-4. I watch this video over and over and over.

http://skadork.net/Races/Local/ChadTNvsSlowLT1_2.avi

The audio and video IS synched. YOu never hear the other car drop in RPMs, ever! The drop in rpms is the camera car. This is two heads/cam LS1s (two of the fastest streetcars in this city)

EDIT: oh yeah, if you start spinning, STAY IN IT, powershift at about 6200 and STAY IN IT. THe car will catch back up.

Last edited:

98bcobra

Established Member
I Made a huge about .2-.3 on my time when I switched to powershifting. It dose take some getting used to but it worth it. I run on Street tires right now (no DR yet) and I have to granny shift 1-2 or i spin like crazy. All it takes is Practice.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I've managed to miss gears before during a powershift... tranny is still in one piece... I'm not sayin' the trany and rearend don't hate me though.

SvtKobra96

Vettemeister
Established Member
if ur a slow power shifter and u bounce off the limiter.. dont forget u can still power shift, but at a lower rpm.. that gives u more time to shift and not over rev. basically if u tried power shifting at 6700 and u bounced off cuz ur too slow.. try shifting at 6500 or lower.. after time ull be able to shift higher once u get used to it...good luck.. i power shift at 6.7-6.k depending on how much coffee i drink... lol

Users who are viewing this thread