Power Seat Issues

qkslvr221

Established Member
I'm cleaning my car today so I move the seat all the way back, but when I try to move it back, it moves halfway forwards and just stops working! I can move the seat up, down, and further back again, but the damn thing won't move forward! It seems like a wire got loose or something because the motor doesn't make any noise and even when I move it back more it still won't budge.

Also, the lumbar support deflate seems to have stopped working now too, I can only make it inflate more. :mj:

Are these seats easy to take out? Anyone have a wiring diagram because I don't think it's the switch.

96 chris

Established Member
They are very easy to take out. 4 bolts. unclip the wiring. Then you can get a good look at what's going on.

qkslvr221

Established Member
They are very easy to take out. 4 bolts. unclip the wiring. Then you can get a good look at what's going on.

The 4 10mm bolts going into the seat itself hold it to the rails right?

Do you have any kind of wiring diagram? Thanks bud :beer:

qkslvr221

Established Member
Looking at the diagram, it looks like it's impossible for a wire to be the problem, since if either were pinched than it wouldn't move forward OR backward. Anyone have an idea how tough this switch is to replace?

My94GT

Established Member
wait instead of taking the seat out do the simple thing first and check your fuse. always start with fuses and relays then move onto taking things out of the car if you must.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Very common for these motors and mechanics to go bad.

They are very expensive, too.

Mine barely works. Eventually I'd like to get new, lighter seats.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
In my experience it was the switch itself. I had moved my seat all the way forward to clean the rear floor, and couldn't get it to move rearward.

Internally an electrical/mechanical connection had mechanically separated and the electrical connection was interrupted.

Once the seat is out of the car removing the switch is pretty straight forward. The switch assembly is held together by a metal clip that can be snapped off to allow separation of the switch housing. Take EXTREME care not to allow the switch components to fall out of the housing as getting the parts re-assembled without having seen where they were to start with could be difficult. As I found, one of the mechanical rivet heads had let go and the electrical circuit it completed was open. I pulled the rivet and the part it penetrated, tinned each with solder, and re-assembled the mechanical connection. Then, with a minimum of heat so as to not melt the plastic housing, I soldered the joint together to re-establish the mechanical and electrical connection.
Sorry, no pictures as I was in no mood to document the procedure.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
My seat will blow a fuse when moved ALL the way back. The motor doesn't hit a stop(?) to let it know its reached the end of its travel (it basically keeps working till it heats the circuit up and blows the fuse if the toggle is held).
MY94GT has got it right check the easy stuff first. I'm the only one who drives my car and do not need the seat that far back anyway but I've got a couple of extra fuses in the car just in case.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
My seat will blow a fuse when moved ALL the way back. The motor doesn't hit a stop(?) to let it know its reached the end of its travel (it basically keeps working till it heats the circuit up and blows the fuse if the toggle is held).
MY94GT has got it right check the easy stuff first. I'm the only one who drives my car and do not need the seat that far back anyway but I've got a couple of extra fuses in the car just in case.

Qkslvr221 says the seat goes up and down and back, so it's not the fuse.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
junk yard is the best place to get one.. or the seat assembly you can get on ebay for around $100 but you never know what kind of shape it will be in.

Mine works like 1/2 the time and its really slow... kinda suck for only having 55k on the car.

qkslvr221

Established Member
In my experience it was the switch itself. I had moved my seat all the way forward to clean the rear floor, and couldn't get it to move rearward.

Internally an electrical/mechanical connection had mechanically separated and the electrical connection was interrupted.

Once the seat is out of the car removing the switch is pretty straight forward. The switch assembly is held together by a metal clip that can be snapped off to allow separation of the switch housing. Take EXTREME care not to allow the switch components to fall out of the housing as getting the parts re-assembled without having seen where they were to start with could be difficult. As I found, one of the mechanical rivet heads had let go and the electrical circuit it completed was open. I pulled the rivet and the part it penetrated, tinned each with solder, and re-assembled the mechanical connection. Then, with a minimum of heat so as to not melt the plastic housing, I soldered the joint together to re-establish the mechanical and electrical connection.
Sorry, no pictures as I was in no mood to document the procedure.

Thanks for the very helpful post. I went ahead and just got a new switch off ebay for 30 bucks, I'll get back to you guys once I figure out if it was the problem.

qkslvr221

Established Member
Well it was the switch. Put the new one in (god DAMN that front right bolt is a pain in the ass to get to) and it works perfectly in all 4 directions. Thanks for all the advice again

qkslvr221

Established Member
+1

So, did you pop the old switch open to see what's wrong with it?

About to do that to see if its a simple fix, I have a volt meter and all but I really don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to electrical circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread