Power point & cigar lighter not working (fuse not blown)

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
Today I went to plug in my gps and got nothing. The foward power point by the shifter and the cigar lighter on the center capartment do not work. I checked the fuse and It is fine. The horn, fog lights, power seats and everything else still works. I was told they are all on the same fuse. I pulled the plastic piece surrounding the shifter up and visual inspected the wires going to the power point. Everything is connected but I did not put a tester up to it yet. I search of the forums turned up a bunch of threads but It seemed to always be a fuse that was the culprit or the thread just never got answered so any help would be great.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
usually the powerpoint itself is bad.. 9x's out of 10 the device you plugged into it shorted it out

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
That makes sense. It's kinda weird that both the power point and cigar lighter are both bad though. Of course I'm assuming that my gps isn't bad. I'm going to try plugging something else into it and post the results

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
Well I feel like an idiot, but it turn out my gps power cord is just broken. It won't turn on in anyones car. I'm gunna let that be a lesson in the future to check and see if what I'm trying to plug in works before assuming the car has an issue

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
I was excited to say the least when I saw this thread as I actually do have this exact problem in my car. Whenever I put a fuse in it simply busts, power seats still work and everything but the cig lighter and the shifter power point dont function. Should I just try replacing the power point like somebody already suggested or does it sound like more than that?

TX_Snake

Established Member
The plug in the shifter bezel is a power point. You also have a dedicated cigarette lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread