Power drop ar 5K!!!

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
Took my car out tonight.... ran across a stock C5(auto) he wanted to go from a roll, he is a friend of mine so he knows I can't launch the car... we go at it in first gear, and at about 5k RPM it seemed like my car hit a brick wall!!! he walked me!!!! then a white SS w/ exhaust and intake wants to see what I can do, again from a roll at about 25mph he walks me, at about 5K may car falls on its face again in each gear... I can hear the blower whining up until that RPM range and then it seems like I have no more boost.... I have a JDM chip in now, it never did this before the chip, could this be the problem!!!! The car pulls hard up till the higher RPM's 5k to redline it seems like I am making no power!!! meanwhile I am getting handled by cars I should be beating by far from a roll... HELP!!!!!

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Try the factory chip again. Sounds like JDM chip is fighting with something else.:shrug:

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
I think your right, I have the QUD2 program, and if I remember correctly I heard something bad about that program.... I will take the chip out tomorrow night and see what happens... the ECU is a pain in the ass to get out... unlike the Lightnings, you think JDM will be senstive to my problem, I paid almost $300 for a product I hope they back and tested...

Cat Breath

Established Member
I thought buying a chip from JDM included 2 free reburns if you are unhappy with it? JDM will do what it takes to make it right. Call them.

blk03coupe

Established Member
And if your still unhappy call Rick at Amazon racing, that is where I got my chip from and have no problems it pulls nice all the way up to hmmmm about 7000.... Hope this helps....

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
thanks for the suggestions, I am taking the chip out in a few hours, I PM'd Jeremy @JDM they are closed right now, if the problem does not persist with the chip out hopefully they will reburn for me....

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
Well... I took the chip out and the problem is even worse, I really think I have bad cats, jacked the car up and the cats are pretty hot...

StreetSnake

Established Member
OO I dont think there is any in between on the cats if they have gone bad they will turn cherry red. They normally run very hot anyways .I may be wrong but I think you got other problems....Good luck:beer:

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
Took my car out tonight.... ran across a stock C5(auto) he wanted to go from a roll, he is a friend of mine so he knows I can't launch the car... we go at it in first gear, and at about 5k RPM it seemed like my car hit a brick wall!!! he walked me!!!! then a white SS w/ exhaust and intake wants to see what I can do, again from a roll at about 25mph he walks me, at about 5K may car falls on its face again in each gear... I can hear the blower whining up until that RPM range and then it seems like I have no more boost.... I have a JDM chip in now, it never did this before the chip, could this be the problem!!!! The car pulls hard up till the higher RPM's 5k to redline it seems like I am making no power!!! meanwhile I am getting handled by cars I should be beating by far from a roll... HELP!!!!!

The problem that you are experiencing is the abuse valve kicking in at 5,200 RPMs. With the chip, your car's rate of acceleration is much increased. The computer doesn't understand it so thinks it is dangerous (it is not!). The abuse valve is a vaccuum line that hooks up to the bypass valve next to the blower. Because of the huge increase in performance, your car is dumping all boost at 5,200 RPMs. I know what it feels like - like the car is falling flat on it's face. If you get in it again and tach it out; you will notice that all boost goes to zero after 5K.

This is a problem that all Cobras will have and that all Lightnings have as well. There is a simple fix for it; but you will have to talk to Jim @ JDM to get through it. I don't know how he is selling chips without instructions on how to do it.

The Diablo chip will not APPEAR to experience this problem. The difference between Diablo and SuperChip is that Diablo uses all four banks of the chip while SuperChips does not (it is illegal to use all 4 banks but Diablo does it anyway - federal law mandates that two banks remain untampered with for basic auto safety, emmissions, etc. SuperChips abides by this law; Diablo doesn't care). It is in these last two banks of the chip where Diablo can disable the abuse valve through the chip; allowing customers to avoid the physical walk-a-round by running a couple of vaccuum lines. But ALL CHIP MANUFACTURERS must deal with the abuse valve and the rate of acceleration (or rate of rise) sensor. There is no good after-market performance without disabling it.

So do not be alarmed. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal for 03 chips. It is not hurting your car in any way and is easily fixed. I know it sounds disturbing but it's very technical and normal. I went through the same thing and, again, Diablo chip customers know nothing about it because the abuse valve is disabled in the 3d and/or 4th banks of the chip and Diablo customers are none the wiser.

If you take the chip out the car will go back to 100% factory normal behavior.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
unfortunitly I took the chip out and it seemed to do it still.....how to I get around this "abuse valve". is it easy to bypass?? Hope fully JDM will have some anwers for me soon, my "new" catted X-pipe is being put on today, get the car back monday, I was hoping it was just the cats.... now this problem is getting beyond my level of knowlege, thanks for the info Hammer...

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by 00yellowr
unfortunitly I took the chip out and it seemed to do it still.....how to I get around this "abuse valve". is it easy to bypass?? Hope fully JDM will have some anwers for me soon, my "new" catted X-pipe is being put on today, get the car back monday, I was hoping it was just the cats.... now this problem is getting beyond my level of knowlege, thanks for the info Hammer...

No problem, yellow. Yeah, I had the exact same thing happen to me while we were testing and tuning a SuperChip at Crazy Horse Racing. There are several people who could explain this thing to you: Rick@Amazon Racing, Chris@Crazy Horse, Jim@JDM to name a few.

If you still got the problem with the chip out then try taking the positive battery terminal off for a second. Then put it back on. Your radio will lose it's memory but it will reset the EEC to factory.

The bypass takes about 5 minutes to do and you can be talked through it on the phone but I wouldn't attempt it without Jim from JDM instructing you.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Rich

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
Thanks for the help, I will call Jim on Monday, hopefully this won't be an issue, and a learning experience...I disconected the negative terminal when I took the chip out, maybe thats why the prob is still there, I will do the positive terminal side when I get my car back... thanks

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Disconnect the battery and pull the headlight switch to the full on position. Leave it for a few minutes so that it discharges any capacitors. That should reset your computer. When you start to drive again, the car will probably feel very sluggish - it's going to take some miles before the computer learns again.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
Just talked to JDM, and they said I will need a Boost Bypass kit.... i odered it. hopfully this will cure the problem.... they said I am one of the first to run the chip(everyday driving). So I am gettin the guinea pig duty kind-of..... I will keep you guys posted on my progress so in the future this does not happen to anyone else...

Users who are viewing this thread