Power drain problem! Advice needed!

chew74

Established Member
So whenever I turn on my air conditioner, the RPM's on the L fluctuate to the point of the engine shutting off and interior lights dim very low. I think it just may be the compressor but seeing if any of my brethern have had this issue with thier trucks and what the outcome was.

Cheers mates and thanks in advance.

oilwell1415

Established Member
I would have the alternator checked to make sure it's putting out enough power to run everything. Can you get it to act up by turning on a bunch of other stuff, or does it have to be the AC?

chew74

Established Member
Oil - Thanks for your help. All the other electrical usages seem to be fine, only when I turn the aircondition knob to "on" does the problem begin.

94-427

Established Member
Have seen this befor, have battery checked with qualily equpment [ not autozone ]
the battery may start truck but not be completly charged
when ac is on this is the bigest load on system , and pulls from battery at idle
one more thing to look at is the throttle body clean? is the Idle passages clean?

chew74

Established Member
94 - Thanks for the help. I'll double check the TB and passages. Hopefully it's just the battery and not AC. I'll follow up and let you guys know.

Also I grew up near 45 south and Beltway 8 in the Sagemont Area. We played Alvin all the time in High School.

Users who are viewing this thread