Power ball

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Anyone buying tickets for tomorrows draw? Jackpot is over 700 million. Something like 445 million for a lump sum payment. We have a pool at work going. 24 tickets. All of which will probably lose lol. Still looking at a payout of 10 million per person or so here, roughly after taxes.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Wife and I drove the Ecoboost to the state line on Sunday and bought tickets. Damn Alabama and their uptight morals....

U.M.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
first time I ever bought powerball was for the one that was over a billion. Cant not play for the kind of coin. Ill probably play for the 700 mil.

Blown 89

Established Member
After federal and state taxes (Arizona 5%) on a lump sump you'll walk with $262 million. The $2 I dropped on a ticket is well worth the daydreaming it's provided this week.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It is fun to dream about what you would do with the money. Even splitting it among coworkers leaves a healthy chunk for everyone.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm getting a divorce when I win.

My wife didn't think we'd argue about money, I told her I'll be buying a $15 million McLaren F1 at auction somewhere. She agreed a divorce would be best in the event we won.

Established Member
Couple questions I've always had about these big jackpots. If you have at least a year to claim, Can you relocate to a no tax state first? Truth is, I'd give most of it away to causes and projects I support anyway, so could you set up a charity to claim it and pay taxes only on what you pay yourself as administrator of the charity?
I cant imagine the rate of return on taking payments is worth much of anything, so other than lack of self control, why would you want to get payments over a lump sum?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Couple questions I've always had about these big jackpots. If you have at least a year to claim, Can you relocate to a no tax state first? Truth is, I'd give most of it away to causes and projects I support anyway, so could you set up a charity to claim it and pay taxes only on what you pay yourself as administrator of the charity?
I cant imagine the rate of return on taking payments is worth much of anything, so other than lack of self control, why would you want to get payments over a lump sum?

I think you have to be a resident of that state, and buy the ticket in that state to not pay state taxes.

Not sure about the charity part.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Probably no reason. Or the person just really wants the most money they can get. But, ive seen those shows where people won mega lotteries and blew all the money in a year then file for bankruptcy then wish they never won the lottery to begin with. So, I guess for them the payment option is better.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
In all honesty, if I won the power ball I would have some pretty modest uses for it.

Pay off my house, buy myself and my wife new DD. Nothing overly extravagant, just something new. Invest the rest and have someone manage the investments. I would keep my collections to less than whatever it accrues in interest. I'd probably continue to work so as to not get too bored. Take a few vacations a year and enjoy life.

Eventually I would save up the interest to buy a new house in cash, but nothing over the top. Maybe out of state, but with land and with manageable property taxes.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Missed the lump sum question. Over the course of 30 years you can get better returns on the lump sum and beat the payments.

Many winners go bankrupt because they buy a 500 million $ mansion and can't afford the property taxes, utility costs, etc.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Lump sum or payments? Guess that would all depend on how old you are when you won it! If I won 700 million at say 30 years old or younger I'd probably opt for the payments. At 55 I want the lump sum... hell I might keel over and croak next week for all I know!

U.M.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Anyone buying tickets for tomorrows draw? Jackpot is over 700 million. Something like 445 million for a lump sum payment. We have a pool at work going. 24 tickets. All of which will probably lose lol. Still looking at a payout of 10 million per person or so here, roughly after taxes.

It's around $275M after the 38% taxes. Still a grip of cash for sure. I bought mine...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
In all honesty, if I won the power ball I would have some pretty modest uses for it.

Pay off my house, buy myself and my wife new DD. Nothing overly extravagant, just something new. Invest the rest and have someone manage the investments. I would keep my collections to less than whatever it accrues in interest. I'd probably continue to work so as to not get too bored. Take a few vacations a year and enjoy life.

Eventually I would save up the interest to buy a new house in cash, but nothing over the top. Maybe out of state, but with land and with manageable property taxes.

Quit lying.

I'd buy a weekend house in Belize, a ranch in Montana, a condo on the Emerald Coast, and a residence in DFW with a garage large enough to fit a Heritage FGT, CO terminator, 07 I am legend GT500, 85 LX 5.0 5spd, 93 white Lightning, 01 True blue Lightning, Superman 13/14 GT500, and the current bags of shit I already own. I'd keep it modest.

Users who are viewing this thread