Power adders

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Ok I know there will be other threads on here about this but some don't own the cars anymore and a lot are old post. What aftermarket intake should I run? I can always put the stock one back on when I show the car. Also what throttle body should I get and what size? Also the mass air size? Anything else that can add power besides exhaust. I have a high flow catted h pipe and a nice catback. Should I switch from the catted h to a dr gas off road x or a bbk x pipe? Maybe even a off road h for the deeper tone. Open to ideas and stories on what has worked for you guys. Thanks in advance. :beer:

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Oh and I was looking at the c&l kit with prob a 73mm calibration tube. Not sure what brand of intake to use. I wanted jlt but they don't make one for our cars.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
id say pro m mass air would be best...from what ive seen... cold air intake n/a would probably be a anderson power pipe with the maf in the fender. if i read it right im assuming your wanting to know what will add power to a n/a cobra?? E fan, U.D pullies, longtubes, a 76 mm maf. 70 mm throttle body ( really not going to get much with the stock being a tad smaller). If it was me id probably have a 76 mm pro m and 70 mm Accufab TB.

H pipe vs X pipe is minimal performance wise... id say its more along what your taste is in sound.. the H gives your more of a tradition muscle car mustang sound... the x pipe gives you the sound of a nascar at wat tone is the only way i can describe it lol. I have an Xpipe with Hi flow cats and 40s... heres a vid of just a rev.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n2KFKw7OiQ"]YouTube - ‪1993 Cobra Exhaust‬‏[/nomedia]

buddha93

Established Member
The stuff you looking at replacing is a waste of time, with the exception of ditching the stock airbox/silencer and putting a nice CAI setup. It all works well together, as is from Ford for the power levels. Stay far away from the C&L stuff.

If you really want to add some more power, slap on a set of aftermarket heads and be done with it.

BiLL1024

Established Member
The stuff you looking at replacing is a waste of time, with the exception of ditching the stock airbox/silencer and putting a nice CAI setup. It all works well together, as is from Ford for the power levels. Stay far away from the C&L stuff.

If you really want to add some more power, slap on a set of aftermarket heads and be done with it.

I have to agree with Buddha, heads if you can. With a stock motor I would get rid of the silencer in the fender well and drop in a KnN filter for your stock filter box. Or get a CAI with the filter in the fender-well.
I am using stock MAF and TB and CAI w/filter in fenderwell, with a 340hp crate motor no problem,
Bump timing up to 12-14. Watch/listen for pinging.
Best bang for your buck get 3:73 gears, that will wake that car up too.
Consider 1-5/8 headers with the fenderwell CAI, and 3:73 gears 12-14timing.

AND KEEP the CATS! cars with no cats smell like S@#$

buddha93

Established Member
They won't gain him much, if anything considered the parts the car comes with from the factory suffice. If anything, and assuming it hasn't been done, put some gears out back. That's the cheapest route to go for a little more kick in the pants.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
If I knew what I was doing I would put a top end kit on the car. I have toyed with doing a blower. I was hopin for some easy power with minor bolt ons now I am not asking for much power just a little more would be nice.. I wish I knew how to do gears but I know I would jack that up. I guess I will save my pennies and and then spend them wisely when I have enough. Aaron said he would help with the five lug swap. Is the five lug swap a good thing on these or is it a wash where it has disc brakes already? I am just looking for the best bang for my bucks with this car. I want to do it right. Not planning to race the car but I love pushing the gas and having it go. I would like to show it but who knows what time will bring.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
For where you are with the cars performance and knowing that you’d like to go faster I wouldn’t waste my money (or yours) on a five lug swap just yet. I’d stick to the basics first and get your car breathing / flowing better by focusing on the intake and exhaust.

If your sticking with the naturally aspired route and doing a lot of city driving or don’t care about gas mileage, I’d consider going with 4:10 rear gears over 3:73. Gears were always my first mod as nobody but you knew you had them (edge over the competition) and you get an instant seat of your pants feel for this mod. You’ll want to do some research before slapping parts on your car as some mod will require additional mods to support them or they could be to much for your cars current status.

So be realistic with your budge and goals, do some research and plan ahead, and build on a good foundation for your mods so you’re maximizing your cars potential and not being counter productive. Another important question for most is….how much do you want to change your rare and beautiful cobra….?

Keep in mind that this path gets addicting (and expensive), but if you’re like most of us you will ALWAYS want more power and speed….so Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread