power adder opinions

Vette Eater

Established Member
Whats happening guys....Some friends and I are about to build a Mach1 and can go in any direction. The engine is being pulled and built and can't decide on the power adder. I've looked around and everyone seems to be pleased with their different setups we've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Kenne Bell or a Hellion kit. I would like your input about your setup and your opinion about why yours is better than the next setup...Keeping in mind that its a street car that gets abused, I mean driven on sunny days and might hit the track once or twice a year. Not opposed to nitrous thrown into the mix either. Money isn't a factor, trying to keep costs down, but want the best.

I'm trying to push for the Hellion kit with the 76mm upgrade..we are shooting for 750-800 hp range.

Thanks ahead of time for the input

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Hey, I recently did the a build with my Mach

Stock 04 Terminator Short Block 5,000miles
Stock 04 Mach 1 Heads, 59,000 miles (checked)
Stock Eaton, JLT Ram Air filter with stock cobra elbow, plenum, and arm.
2.76 upper pulley, 4lb lower
Even Flow Head Cooling
New IAT 1 & 2 sensors.

Stock headers
Bassani catted x pipe
Borla Stinger Cat Back
(IRS- 03 Cobra 4.10s, full FTBR bushing kit, BF dif brace)
Stage 3 Clutch
Stock trans 5 speed.

Stock Mach gas tank, cobra fuel hat, twin Ford GTs, FPDM wiring upgrade
39lb injectors

I wanted to get a ported, but my budget didnt allow it.

Made 465 HP 499 FT LBS at excessive motorsports.

Jan302011DynoSheet.jpg

Im happy with the setup as is and will look forward to possibly continue to put more power into it, However Id be contemplating going Turbo or a Whipple.

The thing is with a Turbo setup, (I feel), is that its alot more expensive to achieve the same power/ durability level asd if you were to supercharge the car. Ive read and read and read numerous times that the tuning is a lot harder with a big #s tubro setup rather than a supercharger. But that wouldnt stop me if money wasnt a real factor.

Just my 2 cents, but you should make sure you have a well thought out plan as to what you are doing to better get a handle on your budget, car, and tuner.

Vette Eater

Established Member
Thanks for your input...THe price is all relatively the same wehter we go with a turbo or do the KB kit. We're just trying to get input from everyone that has the different setups to see what they like and don't like about their setup and whether or not one wished they could change something about it...I have a Cobra with a ported Eaton and spray making 650 so we know that works...Since the Mach doesn't come with a blower we're weighing in on our options...I REALLY want to do a turbo setup but it isn't my car or my money, just my labor. I feel the turbo would be the better setup since you can regulate boost from the drivers seat rather than having to swap pulleys not to mention they're more efficient

Jaysin

Established Member
If it were me, motor was being built for high horsepower, and money was no object... I'd opt for a twin turbo set-up. I like the ease of power with turbos, the fact that they don't stress the motor as much as a Blower, so it helps the motor. Also the power potential of a twin set-up, and as stated the ease of lowering/upping the boost when desired.

Users who are viewing this thread