Powder Coating Valve Covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I've been getting a clattering noise at low and steady rpms, and suspect it's time for new timing chains, guides, etc. Since I'm going to pull the valve covers in the process, I'm thinking about having the valve covers, and the front cover powder coated. I'll just be powder coating the front cover silver, but I'm thinking about doing the valve covers different. I love the wrinkle finish, but I'm not sure on the color. My first thought is light blue, but I don't know how it would look with the laser red.

What do you guys think? Anyone have pictures of powder coated b head valve covers you could post? Here's a picture of my engine in it's current state.
DSC_0404_zpsc506ac19.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Ford Racing Blue cam covers looks fantastic against any color!

Stolen 98

Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but...have you thought about taking off the front Octane Fuel Level sticker on the front face of your supercharger, then putting a cobra intake manifold emblem in it's place? I think that would look sick as HELL!

Here's the emblem I'm referring too.... COBRA

On the valve covers...I'd rock the blue "Aluminator" style wrinkle coated ones. Just my $0.02

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but...have you thought about taking off the front Octane Fuel Level sticker on the front face of your supercharger, then putting a cobra intake manifold emblem in it's place? I think that would look sick as HELL!

Here's the emblem I'm referring too.... COBRA

On the valve covers...I'd rock the blue "Aluminator" style wrinkle coated ones. Just my $0.02

I love the look of the aluminator covers. This is definitely what I'm leaning towards.

I've never thought about adding a cobra emblem to the front of the blower. I may try it. Thanks

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Here's mine that were installed early this year. Sorry, not B head covers anymore, but I went with painted gloss black to match the car. I wanted the wrinkle black, but I talked to a place that does pc in the area, he said it would take $250+ just to standard coat (wrinkle would be extra) the intake and vc and he actually told me paint would hold up just as well....so basically he talked me into painting them lol.

I have seen the blue many times and it always looks good, but works with some colors better than others. I think black would also work on yours, but they will not stand out much. I have seen them done in dark shadow gray and it looked awesome, kinda wish I would have tried that option.

ifh8.jpg

xkq9.jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
but I talked to a place that does pc in the area, he said it would take $250+ just to standard coat (wrinkle would be extra)

Holy God, talk about highway robbery. I've never paid over $100 to have a set of valve covers done. The last set I paid $75, and they're perfect.

Here are mine...

From when I had B valve-covers on the engine:

Motor.jpg

An old picture, but with COP covers:

blowthru1.jpg

Last edited:

98BABCobra

Established Member
I'm trying to decide what color to go with on my BAB for my valve covers and upper intake. I keep flip flopping between wrinkle black, gloss black, or BAB to match the car. . . .:shrug:

1BD9D7

Established Member
Holy God, talk about highway robbery. I've never paid over $100 to have a set of valve covers done. The last set I paid $75, and they're perfect.

I would agree, for around $100 I would have done the pc. I checked with the place in Quincy that used to coat all the Dodge Cummins vc. I should have checked around more but I am happy with how they turned out and painting them was still a lot cheaper. Your engine bay is great, I have a pic of it saved for reference when I worked on mine this spring. I considered sanding the paint off the ribs before clear coating but we were short on time during the paint process and I did not wanna screw up the paint. That contrast looks good tho. Those aero fuel rails on eBay did not end up being a huge bargain, did they? lol they woulda been a steal at $50

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Those aero fuel rails on eBay did not end up being a huge bargain, did they? lol they woulda been a steal at $50

I wound up winning the auction. It didn't go as cheap as maybe you or I expected but it was still a good deal. After all, they were new and I paid about what people ask for used. Still saved me about $60 over buying them from a store front. Thanks again for the tip :beer:

brucesvt

Established Member
Here's mine that were installed early this year. Sorry, not B head covers anymore, but I went with painted gloss black to match the car. I wanted the wrinkle black, but I talked to a place that does pc in the area, he said it would take $250+ just to standard coat (wrinkle would be extra) the intake and vc and he actually told me paint would hold up just as well....so basically he talked me into painting them lol.

I have seen the blue many times and it always looks good, but works with some colors better than others. I think black would also work on yours, but they will not stand out much. I have seen them done in dark shadow gray and it looked awesome, kinda wish I would have tried that option.

ifh8.jpg

xkq9.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: very nice great work

stanggirl14

Established Member
I don't have pics as I haven't installed them but I have a laser red and bought wrinkle red covers with ford racing COP covers (cop conversion planned).

I'm rethinking the red with red though, I may go wrinkle black or the powder blue.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Well I found a set of polished 96-98 valve covers on eBay and they really look great. Thinking I may go that direction. We have a great local chrome plating shop outside of Paducah. I was already planning to have them polish my kenne bell intake, may have them do the valve covers as well.

1BD9D7

Established Member

Hopefully you can delete that coil bracket on the passenger side, mine is part of the sc housing so I could not, I just made a plastic plate to cover it. I like the custom intake manifold work there, getting the material out of that center part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread