Powder Coating the Eaton

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I'm buying a used eaton off a member here and instead of painting it black, I'll send it to a powder coater in town. Is it a good idea to powder coat the blower? Not sure if there will be any negative effects or not.

what other parts would you powder coat as well? Im trying to get the car cleaned up over the boring winter. Thanks.

For now I'll coat the:
blower
Tb
Elbow
valve Covers
not sure what else, any interior parts? I'm thinking black for everything, but I'm open to suggestions. A blue blower maybe?? :banana:

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
Narcosynthesis said:
I'm buying a used eaton off a member here and instead of painting it black, I'll send it to a powder coater in town. Is it a good idea to powder coat the blower? Not sure if there will be any negative effects or not.

what other parts would you powder coat as well? Im trying to get the car cleaned up over the boring winter. Thanks.

For now I'll coat the:
blower
Tb
Elbow
valve Covers
not sure what else, any interior parts? I'm thinking black for everything, but I'm open to suggestions. A blue blower maybe?? :banana:

No negative problems with powder coating. be sure to have them cover any area you dont want coated....gasket surfaces etc.....of course it has to be stripped apart completely ,no bearings or internals left in at all....including the snout ...empty snout I mean no drive or pulley etc.... Just the empty shell can be powder coated because of the heat of baking the coating.

Blue would be neat if you also do the valve covers ...I don't know,would that be too much blue ?? Might look cool on a blue car ...another color I'm not sure...

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
You need to have them media blast off the original gray thats on there too before they coat it the color of your choice.

Everything has to be stripped like said above, and the sensitive parts need to be covered in tape (gasket surfaces, threads, mating surfaces in general).

Let us know how it turns out, it'll look sweet!

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
i prepped mine first then added a coat of primer then several coats of flat black and i must say it came out really nice. I still havent put it on but i dont think it affects the blower in any way. If i didnt have a mystic , i would have painted it a ford blue or some candy color to stand out a bit besides you can always re-painted if you dont like the color.

SVT04

Established Member
Mr. Freeze said:
what color is the stock color anyway??

Powder coat is a whole different world than paint....the paint will be gone and the powder coat will still look new. As far as a paint matching the stock Ford silver goes I have heard that Dupont silver frost is close.... :burnout:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Is the factory finish a paint or powder coat? My only concern would be the insulation properties of a thick powder coat finish. These blowers retain enough heat as it is.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I didn't think I would have to take apart the blower, but it makes sense due to the heat from the powder coating. I think Ill just spray paint it instead. Ill coat some other parts though. Pics will be up this winter, lol.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I would not recommend powdercoating the blower, I looked into it myself. The entire blower has to be taken apart because there are parts in there that cant withstand 450 degree temps. Then, when you put it back together, the rotors have to be reclocked and you could just be asking for trouble. Painting looks just as good and can be very durable too!

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
just curious but what happens when the rotors are not re-clocked?? what potenial damage can it cause? im still new to the heaton technology.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Well, I don't even know the details, but if they dont go back in with the exact orientation that they came out, that's when you encounter probs. Stiegemeier is the one who talked me outta powdercoating so if there are anymore questions, I would call them....

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
sambandit said:
Well, I don't even know the details, but if they dont go back in with the exact orientation that they came out, that's when you encounter probs. Stiegemeier is the one who talked me outta powdercoating so if there are anymore questions, I would call them....

thanks scott, i'll probably end up calling up steg. to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread