Potential new I-phone lap timer app that actually is useful..

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
My brother’s son is going to MIT. He and some class mates are doing a project for extra credits. Their project is to build a few I-phone apps. I mentioned to my brother about a potentially simple app they could do to make a lap timer for a couple bucks a download.

Some folks, such as myself, don’t really give a crap about the full data acquisition stuff that comes along with the MaxQ, and some of the timer apps currently available for the I-phone. I was just thinking it could be simple, but it would still need to use the GPS function on the phone, as well as possibly the accelerometers. Here it is:

The screen has two smaller numbers (M:SS.xxx) on the upper left and upper right corners, and one big, easy to read number in the space left. There will be one button to mark start finish. Each of the three numbers can be dragged to the center large position. One number is best lap, one number is the lap last completed, and the third number is the “time since last here” which will show the laptime you would complete if you got everything right from the point you are at, to start/finish. MaxQ has this function and it is just basic GPS data and logic.

If your best lap so far is 2:00, and assuming you put down the exact same lap at every corner, but say T3…the time will update to predict anything gained or lost.

The GUI would look something like this:

GUI.jpg

I really think it could be a very good self coaching device…..and I can’t see how it wouldn’t be easy for a skilled person to build it.

Thoughts?

TroyV

Established Member
I think the big hurdle is the GPS sample rate of the I-phone, which I think is only once per second, but not sure on that.

TroyV

Established Member
I'm not sure I can drive much slower than I have been lately.

I've been sucking hind tit in the time trials these last few events. I need to be wearing my balls on the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread