Post your oil related engine failures

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
From what I understand, the main factors in engine oil breakdown are:
• the oil itself breaks down from heat, etc
• contaminants from the combustion process/internal engine components

With synthetic oils, they will not break down as fast as dino oils from heat, etc. However, the contamination from the internal motor parts/combustion process still accumulate in the oil, inhibiting proper lubrication/accelerating wear.

Some Ford Super Duty truck owners do the extended interval thing, but they often install bypass oil filtration systems, usually with a couple of high quality reusable oil filters. They also supplement the extended intervals with "oil analysis" by companies who do a chemical analysis of the oil and report it's condition. By this analysis, they then know what is wearing in their motor, and when they should change their oil.

There is no way I would even consider extended intervals without some type of analysis. And, considering the relatively cheap cost of full synthetic, why not just change it regularly? I guarantee that if Ford finds out you are going past the regular scheduled oil change intervals, synthetic or not, the ole' warranty will get voided on the motor.

My .02 cents worth... :D

Lee

Established Member
I change my Amzoil every 5000 miles or every year, whichever comes first. I usually only put 2000 miles per year on the Cobra's and I change the oil in the Fall when they're going to sit more over the Winter. I like fresh oil in the crank case to keep down internal corrosion while they "hibernate".

Lee

Established Member
Hi Richard. I've used Mobil 1 for years because I could get it at Walmart, on sale, for $18 for 5 quarts. Lately though I've started using Amzoil, along with their excellent filter, because the local Napa store sells it. I run Mobil 1, or Amzoil, in all my vehicles, some of which site outside in the winter. That's where I really like synthetics, when it's 5 degrees!

Users who are viewing this thread