Post pics of gutted interior

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I'm trying to clean up the interior of my track car and started peeling off the sound dampening material today. What a major pain in the ass! I have most of tiff now aside from the very front of the tranny tunnel and behind the pedals.

I'm wondering how some of you were able to strip off everything and what techniques you used. Also, did you scrape off the "yellow silicone/glue" material that's caulked along the seems?

If I paint over some existing caulking and/or leftover sound dampening material, will it hold up?

Please post pcs. I'd like to see how some of you got yours to be so clean. Thanks!

WPBcobra

Established Member
here what the inside of my car looks like.
like other have said a small torch and a scraper.
1529089_10202275160016138_2097442062_o_zps18aa77f8.jpg

Sirl

Established Member
I used all the above techniques... What a PITA!!
But after using a blow torch and scraping, I cleaned it up with a wire "Cup" brush, on the end of a drill.

I painted mine with Duplicolor Bed Liner. DO NOT use it. sucks. scratches right off, even after lots of good priming.

Again, it looks good, but I would not use that stuff again.

Bedliner3.jpg

Bedliner1.jpg

wheelhopper

Established Member
I need to strip some of mine out as well. I painted my interior white. It is a paint to keep the roll bar and the floor in drivers area looking nice. A friend of mine used flat black and it held up well and doesn't show near the dirts or scuffs that my white interior shows.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Well, I finally finished ripping off all the sound dampening material and even some of that yellowish caulking stuff from my car. Have a little left on the very front part of the tranny tunnel but I'll just leave it there. I was able to get everything off using a chisel, flathead screwdriver, and a hammer. No heat gun! I then cleaned it up using a wire brush on a drill. I'll be spraying some primer soon and then a coat of black or white to clean up the look a bit. I don't want to change from all black to all white because of all the prep work involved in changing colors but we'll see how I feel once I get into the painting stage.

Thanks for

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
you never read about the dry ice trick for the sound deadening!?!

stuff comes off so easy.

Simply cover the sound deadening in dry ice, wait a couple minutes, hit with a hammer(you dont even need to use much force) and the stuff literally breaks apart like a cracker and leaves no residue then pick up all the chips with your hand or a vacuum and your done.

Super easy, takes like ten minutes to do the whole car stress free.

Sirl

Established Member
you never read about the dry ice trick for the sound deadening!?!

stuff comes off so easy.

Simply cover the sound deadening in dry ice, wait a couple minutes, hit with a hammer(you dont even need to use much force) and the stuff literally breaks apart like a cracker and leaves no residue then pick up all the chips with your hand or a vacuum and your done.

Super easy, takes like ten minutes to do the whole car stress free.

Of course. Tried it, and it didnt work for shit!!

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
I'm still in the process of doing this. I used an air chisel for most then a 4 inch angle grinder with a paint remover wheel for all the left over gunk

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Do you guys just use the rattle can method? What's the best way so it doesn't look like crap?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I'm most likely just going to sand it clean, spray some primer, then a quick coat of rattle can black. Nothing fancy for me.

darreng505

Established Member
Im gonna do the flat black header paint rattle can. It goes on smooth and blends without clumping or streaks. No primer needed.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I brushed on low voc john deere sparkling white. It's not white but is a gloss grey and looks great. Deere also carries a primer sealer that does a great job too. Comes in spray cans for easy application.

Last edited:

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I brushed on low voc john deere sparkling white. It's not white but is a gloss grey and looks great. Deere also carries a primer sealed that does a great job too. Comes in spray cans for easy application.

Where can I find John Deere paint? I see a lot of cars using that gloss gray paint but never knew what it was.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
TY25829 is the part number for the qt of sparkling white. If you don't find a local john deere dealer that carries it let me know we have two cans of it left.

The buff primer sealer spray can part number is TY26268

Users who are viewing this thread