Post Black Friday Mods Frenzy

ANGREY

Established Member
if you like nice mechanical feeling things that click into gear with precision, you will not regret that purchase

I would still do the MGW, but I'm just giving my personal feedback as to the value or effect/$ spent of it. If others are on a lesser budget, it would be one of the last mods I did. In fact, I'd get a good radar detector hard wired before I did the shifter.

My advice to anyone starting mods is to first address the deficiencies from Ford that can hurt the car.

1) Oil separator/catch can.
2) Rock blockers (to protect your paint job).
3) ZL1 splitter savers

The next set would be things where the car is woeful or subpar

4) Clutch spring

Then it's pick your poison. As great as the 350 sounds from the factory, I think a set of long tubes and aftermarket exhaust make it sound even more glorious.

5) LT headers (this also requires a tune, in hindsight I wouldn't do the CAI, I'd just leave the stock intake)
6) Aftermarket exhaust
7) Floor mats (black pile carpeting is impossible to keep clean)
8) Side marker LEDs (has a dramatic effect on the way the car looks at night
9) 4th Brake light (has a less dramatic look, but is an improvement)
10) Hood struts (I did this earlier simply because I bought a set of like new from someone online)
11) Interior LEDs (looking back, this mod is meh, but then again, it's peanuts for cost)
12) Sequential brake lights/hazards (this is $70 I could have spent elsewhere)
13) Rear IRS subby connectors (people swear they can tell a dramatic difference, I'm not so sure)
14) Front subframe bar (same as 13)
15) MGW Shifter. Does it feel better than stock? Yup. Is it worth $500? Maybe. Is it worth sacrificing virtually anything on the list? Personal preference. It's definitely an improvement, just not sure it's worth half a grand.

ANGREY

Established Member
An interesting compilation. I'm not so sure about listing the shifter after floor mats, rock blockers and light bulbs though.

The interior bulbs are....whatevs. The exterior LEDs are a cool upgrade for the side markers.

The floor mats are just my personal priority because black carpet bugs me, seriously. It's impossible to keep looking clean. I swapped to the 3D max liners and they're great.

The rock blockers are one of the first things I'd do just to keep the door panels from getting rock chips.

The MGW is great, but the stock shifter isn't awful. Again, it's just the value proposition. Over the years I've owned a Steeda Triax, a Roush shifter and B&M and none of them were near as expensive as the MGW. The MGW is great, and once I received it, I can see why it costs $500 (with all the trim), the build quality is top notch and the amount of expensive fab/materials is world class, but I'm just not sure the improvement from the stock 350 shifter to the MGW is worth half a grand and 3 hours of install. Essentially, if someone gave me one I'd absolutely use it, but $500 goes pretty far with a bunch of other mods. If I had to choose between a bonanza of mats, bulbs, hood struts, window tinting, etc.....it'd be hard for me to say that the MGW is worth forgoing all that other stuff.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Essentially, if someone gave me one I'd absolutely use it, but $500 goes pretty far with a bunch of other mods. If I had to choose between a bonanza of mats, bulbs, hood struts, window tinting, etc.....it'd be hard for me to say that the MGW is worth forgoing all that other stuff.

When people are spending 2k+ on plastic film, 4k+ on wheels/tires, 2k+ on custom exhaust...the value of the MGW shifter becomes even more apparent.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I guess it depends on how and where you use your car. I took mine to the track a couple of times with the stock shifter, and it wasn't particularly definitive about which gear you were going to get next. More than once I paused mid-shift and felt around for the next gate. The MGW leaves no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread