Possibly moving

C O B R A

Fuel This Fire
Established Member
Huntington Long Island, NY ( August 2008 )
As some of you know I have been accepted to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University for their flight program. My dream is to become a commercial airline pilot. I am on the path of fufilling that dream and making it a reality. I have heard good things about ERAU and not so good of things. So I want to explore my options. Two other flight universities I have looked into is University of Illinois. The other being the University of Arizona State. Any ever been around the Champaign area ? thoughts on it ? anyone from the Arizona area? any thoughts on it ? Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Do your research first and see how many people from any of these programs make it into the majors. The percentage is not that good. More military pilots make it because of the diverse aircraft and the number of hours you get in the military.

Good Luck.

C O B R A

Fuel This Fire
Established Member
I honestly thought about going the military route. However I do not wish to sign a 10 year contract with the Air Force or Navy to have them train me as a pilot. Sure their training is better and is looked upon greater, however like I said I don't really want to sign a 10 year contract. I believe most of the programs I am looking at have something like a 95% sucess rate. When I am not doing commercial flights I plan on being a flight instructor. So flight hours won't be a problem for me but thanks.

CCT

Established Member
95% success rate as in 95% of the students are hired as commercial pilots like you want to become? that seems like an awful high rate

C O B R A

Fuel This Fire
Established Member
95% success rate as in 95% of the students are hired as commercial pilots like you want to become? that seems like an awful high rate

Yea I am not 100% sure on the stats. Its just what ERAU has claimed. Actually I think they claimed 98%. The FAA has already released by 2010 I believe it is, that like 40% of pilots will have to retire because of their age. Again that is just off the top of my head it may be higher or lower. O dod some research on the University of Illinois and it turns out they have real high standards academic wise. Arizona State has decent academic standards , they were more known for their partying.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I honestly thought about going the military route. However I do not wish to sign a 10 year contract with the Air Force or Navy to have them train me as a pilot. Sure their training is better and is looked upon greater, however like I said I don't really want to sign a 10 year contract. I believe most of the programs I am looking at have something like a 95% sucess rate. When I am not doing commercial flights I plan on being a flight instructor. So flight hours won't be a problem for me but thanks.

95% success rate? That is pure BS. It may be 95% for people getting "A" job, but not right seat with a Commercial Airline. Additionally, being a CFI/II is not easy and they fight for their hours as well. Plus those hours are mostly S.E.L., that only count towards getting your ATP. No major carrier will care if you have 2500 hours in a four place single. They want jet/turbine time in a heavy.

stvdman

Established Member
If you finish school at ER and dont like the prospects at that time you can still look at going into the military, I am sure you could get into a flight program in the military, get some major stick time and then be much more desireable as a commercial pilot.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My grandfather was a flight instructor and a pilot for the LA County Sheriffs dept, he got all his training in the Navy.

C O B R A

Fuel This Fire
Established Member
Ok let's try to keep this on topic though. lol. I said I wasnt 100 % sure.lol. If I were to go to the University of Illinois I have been guaranteed a flight instructor job at the school in my senior year. With full benefiets but with the $7/hr isnt all that great at all. So anyone ever been to Champaign ? Or in the Arizona State University area ? what are your thoughts about it.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Ok let's try to keep this on topic though. lol. I said I wasnt 100 % sure.lol. If I were to go to the University of Illinois I have been guaranteed a flight instructor job at the school in my senior year. With full benefiets but with the $7/hr isnt all that great at all. So anyone ever been to Champaign ? Or in the Arizona State University area ? what are your thoughts about it.

The point is that will allow you build hours toward your ATP, but will do you NO good in gaining the necessary hours in heavys. Where are you going to get the time in the right seat of jets and large aircraft?

stvdman

Established Member
Yup, you need that stick time in Fixed wing Multi engine airframes.

In the USCG (small flight program...... I know) The helo jocks would always recognize that fact later in their careers and fight to get over to the HC-130, multi-engine, fixed wing. I have seen more than a fair number of C-130 pilots get picked up by the major airlines.

Users who are viewing this thread