Possibly Moving to Texas - Input Please?

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Hi Guys,

I currently live in New Hampshire (fellow free-stater here) and I am toying with the idea of Austin, Texas. Do you guys like the area? And how bad is it really during the summer months in terms of heat? I think I've heard the car scene is pretty awesome there.

Any big draw backs to working in Austin and living there or in the surrounding areas?

Thanks!

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Weird people in Austin but it's not a bad place. I'd get a place just outside of Austin to live. Heat? Yea if you have never lived here you will suffer the first summer but you get use to it. No more snow for the most part. I love Texas especially central Texas.

brandonflood123

Established Member
Weird people in Austin but it's not a bad place. I'd get a place just outside of Austin to live. Heat? Yea if you have never lived here you will suffer the first summer but you get use to it. No more snow for the most part. I love Texas especially central Texas.

hes pretty on par. in the city of austin people are a little weird. but its nothing you cant handle im sure. the car scene is pretty awesome in texas tho. theres alot of hills in austin aswell so if you have a stick, that could possibly be an issue, the hills are steep lol. and yeah. it gets hot. really hot lol it was 101 on my way home from work yesterday. it was about 80 degrees at 6:30-7 am

Havok01MG

Haha funny I just checked this area of the forum to do the same thing. I'm moving to San Antonio 4th of July weekend from Eastern PA. Very excited as its a fresh start so I'll be looking for local Mustang guys to hang out with. Good luck with your choice!

SirJAG

Established Member
Moved to austin (round rock actually, work in austin) 4 years ago.

I freaking love it here man. There are a some wierd people here thats for sure, my first weekend here I was at an oyster bar downtown and some freak walked up in a thong and not much else ( Leslie) almost puked up my dinner....He died a few years later....

Other than that, been a pretty sweet deal.

Austin is def. more liberal than the rest of texas, which is a good thing in my book. Hell there's a kid facing life in round rock for baking pot brownies!!! (thats the difference in travis and williamson county!)

what line of work are you in? that might make it easier to give you some more specifics, i work in semiconductors.

Nice to meet ya,
JAG

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Well my GF got a job with IBM in Austin, so I am going to visit her at the end of July just after she gets settled in. Then I can see what I think about the area and whatnot. I'm a project manager for a web/marketing agency, so it wouldn't be hard to find work in the area.

I have a feeling I am going to die in the heat at first, ha.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
you will love it. austin (specifically the surrounding areas) is a great place to live. only downside is traffic. don't worry about the heat, it's not that bad and that's what a/c is for.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I grew up in Austin & Round Rock and now live in Waco. Compared to other areas, Austin is awesome. Lots of decent jobs, the car scene is good, and the cost of living is not too bad. If you are in the tech industry, Austin will be great for you. This summer has been very mild compared to previous years but will be much worse than you are used to, but like Redfire said that is why you have AC. Eitherway good luck with your decision. I don't think you would regret moving here.

Users who are viewing this thread