Possibly going built...

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
So I'm looking at graduating to the next level without turning my stock block into shrapnel. Scuba-Matt was kind enough to share some of his wisdom with me about his venture into the 600 club... Thanks dude :beer:

I have a shop in Douglasville, Ga looking into what it would cost to use my current block and filling it with 500rwhp with the capabilities to handle 700rwhp down the road. I try to do things right the first time so I tend to dump more cash than I need to to make sure I don't cut corners and do everything right. I'm guessing its going to run me approx $12-15k to get it all done right. Does that sound about right?

I'm leaning towards the whipple 3.4 to stuff my powerplant for 500rwhp now and 700rwhp later but can the whipple 2.3 handle those duties without straining it and increasing my IATs like a Heaton?

2v/3v/4v.... I'm thinking 4 :shrug: I hear the name Patriot being thrown around... any ideas?

Are there any lessons learned about going built that you guys had to learn the hard way or after the fact?

And just in case any of you wonder... yes I used the search function but haven't quite found what I was looking for yet. If you have any valuable links please enlighten me. :banana: Thanks!!!!

--Matt

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The 2.3 Whipple runs cooler than the 3.4
The 2.3 is capable of 700 HP
Patriot heads SUCK and Trick Flo shelved the SC heads for the 5.4 - 2 valve
JDM has great heads and cams the cost will be under $2500 If You send your heads to them to be reworked. or $3200 if you by theirs.
From JDM:
• JDM's ported heads are done on a 5 axis CNC machine
• When time came to choosing a head porting design we sent four separate heads out to four of the best hand porters in the world
• We then flow tested each one on a flow bench. After the flow testing we came up with our design off of bits and pieces of our hand porters design
• We dyno tested the heads and came up with two more changes before our final design
I have under $8000 in my built motor and I have all the good stuff.

Don't forget you'll need long tube headers too. Good luck Bro, Feel free to PM me :beer:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Why do you say the 2.3 runs cooler than the 3.4?

Haven't you read all the threads about not being able to keep the IAT2 temps down on the 3.4
The 3.4 has a 2.3 inlet and its a big air restriction. There are a couple of inlet options out there.
I don't think the Lightning inter cooler that was designed for a 1.8 Eaton can keep up with the 3.4
I would wait for the 2.9 Whipple or go 2.3 Just my 2 cents

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Haven't you read all the threads about not being able to keep the IAT2 temps down on the 3.4
The 3.4 has a 2.3 inlet and its a big air restriction. There are a couple of inlet options out there.
I don't think the Lightning inter cooler that was designed for a 1.8 Eaton can keep up with the 3.4
I would wait for the 2.9 Whipple or go 2.3 Just my 2 cents

Good info. No I have not seen any of those threads. Does make sense. Same reson they developed the crusher inlet for the Cobra.

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
The 2.3 Whipple runs cooler than the 3.4
The 2.3 is capable of 700 HP

JDM has great heads and cams the cost will be under $2500 If You send your heads to them to be reworked. or $3200 if you by theirs.

The JDM heads sounds good but can anyone lend their experience with JLP heads? JLPs are about $400 less than JDMs. Two reputable companies but what do each offer? Any weak points?

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
I called JDM today and asked about their process for their heads and all. I'm pretty satisfied with what they had to tell me. I'll probably take your advice and run with the JDM internals as well. Might be able to scrape a longblock together for less than 7k.

The most expensive single assembly is the blower which I'm leaning towards the 2.3 whipple. Haven't heard as many horror stories with them as I have the KB.

The next item I'm debating is the fuel and ignition system. I always hear the walboro 255s are good and 60# injectors. If I'm going to push up to 700rwhp is 80# the way to go?

Regarding ignition... coilover plugs.... how does that work? Are the stock ones sufficient? What is a reputable brand?

:read:

--Matt

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Stock coil packs are the best. Some guys run the weapon X's with good luck. I ran them for awhile with no issues as well. Only switched from the stockers chasing dyno problems trying to figure out why I was not making power.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
So far you sound like you're off to a good start, and as said before, stay with the stock COP's, they are capable of making the numbers you are seeking and seem to be more reliable than the aftermarket COP's. Another thing you may want to consider adding to the list, if its not already there, is a stall to help put the power to the ground. Good luck with the build.

SS THiS

03 Lightning
Established Member
I called JDM today and asked about their process for their heads and all. I'm pretty satisfied with what they had to tell me. I'll probably take your advice and run with the JDM internals as well. Might be able to scrape a longblock together for less than 7k.

The most expensive single assembly is the blower which I'm leaning towards the 2.3 whipple. Haven't heard as many horror stories with them as I have the KB.

The next item I'm debating is the fuel and ignition system. I always hear the walboro 255s are good and 60# injectors. If I'm going to push up to 700rwhp is 80# the way to go?

Regarding ignition... coilover plugs.... how does that work? Are the stock ones sufficient? What is a reputable brand?

:read:

--Matt

I hit 698hp with JDM's Longblock and 2.3 Whipple @ 21lbs with the 60lb injectors BUT with Metco Fuel rails, lines, Fore Billet hat, and the 255 fuel pumps

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
stock cops definetly even JDM will tell you. 1998 F-150 is what they use for an upgraded fuel rail and it works great. They dont sell KB's so Whipple will be your choice if you go with them. You will be happy with their service. Trust me!

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I've got right at 7k in mine. Did as much as was possible myself.

1) have the internals balanced and then rotational balance the assembly.
2) If your shooting for 700rwhp your going to want to build it on the loose side. (0.004" piston to wall clearance)
3) You might want to consider a stall for the larger cams
4) Use TQ plates for block work
5) Do a three day TQ sequence when screwing it together. (the block and heads settle each day. Re-torque until they hold at 70-75ft lbs)
6) Check out my web page

Rich

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread