possible water on piston crowns on #s 2'3'4

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
hey everyone so i noticed my resevoir cap kept spitting out coolant so i replaced the cap same thing was happening and it would only happen when pushing the motor if i cruised around never had any issues with temperatures either. So i checked my thermostat it works fine, bypass tube plug o ring was pretty worn ordered a couple today. Theres no water in the oil and theres no oil in the resevoir. Motor has about 4000 miles has never over heated on me but from previous experiences this is either a head gasket leak or intake manifold leak. It looks like water to me atleast? the spark plugs smell pretty rich too they look good just a bit shade of brown. Car is running fine never over heats. Fan works too. Has anyone ever had this issue?
Screenshot_20220428-135914_DEPSTECH.jpeg
Screenshot_20220428-140856_DEPSTECH.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bullitt1448

Established Member
You may be able to get sample bottles from your local parts store or at least they maybe able to point you to someone in your area that does oil samples. A couple ounces are needed

Bullitt1448

Established Member
If no one is local to you, try googling oil sampling. Around here the local Cat dealer does it but that may not be true in all locations. There are a very “mail in” places online

Bullitt1448

Established Member
If the plugs smell rich it is possibly fuel. If it was spitting out the coolant from the reservoir that leads me to think more than likely coolant, Did the car smoke before you tore it down? If so what colour was the smoke? Did the oil level climb on the dipstick? Could be head gasket, could be cracked head, outside possibility of a cracked block but that is much less common. Unless you can confirm the head gaskets were bad I suggest getting the heads pressure tested

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
yessir gonna get a coolant system pressure test, also compression test.
If the plugs smell rich it is possibly fuel. If it was spitting out the coolant from the reservoir that leads me to think more than likely coolant, Did the car smoke before you tore it down? If so what colour was the smoke? Did the oil level climb on the dipstick? Could be head gasket, could be cracked head, outside possibility of a cracked block but that is much less common. Unless you can confirm the head gaskets were bad I suggest getting the heads pressure tested

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
did a cold compression test all shows ok seems low but consistent then again im using a harbor freight gauge. going to get a coolant system tester today see if i can find something with that if not its on to a leak down test.
cylinders 1-4 @150 +/- 1 psi cylinder 5 @149 6@148 7@145 8@149

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
Not good news, any external leaks?
well first test i did was with nothing in the system now i put water in it got it up to 16 psi found a leak at the thermostat housing but mind you the gasket is worn pretty badly so im going to pick up a new gasket and a thermostat here today before i head off to work.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I just purchased a vehicle knowing it had overheated. .

What I did to find my leak .

Pulled all plugs,,

I tapped into cooling system. Added a little air.

Waited few seconds later

Cylinder 3 was filling up and out it came.

But. No water in oil. .

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
ouch sorry to hear that man. If you do your own work youll save yourself a lot of cash but its no walk in the park.

how did you put air in the cooling system and how much psi did you use?
I just purchased a vehicle knowing it had overheated. .

What I did to find my leak .

Pulled all plugs,,

I tapped into cooling system. Added a little air.

Waited few seconds later

Cylinder 3 was filling up and out it came.

But. No water in oil. .

hotcobra03

Established Member
Vehicle is a dodge.
3.6 pentastar

But this had a older style radiator cap with lever to release..

I just used that ..

Radiator pressure test kit . You can rent from parts store ,

My kid tried this on his Vehicle but non of the caps fit ,
Which I just skipped.

Old cap may be able to be modified to accept air .

I don't know how much air pressure I used but I just ,it made hoses hard instantly,
I did find a broken heater hose joint which I believe was the start of issue for lose of coolant .

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
Vehicle is a dodge.
3.6 pentastar

I just used that ..

Which I just skipped.

I don't know how much air pressure I used but I just ,it made hoses hard instantly,
I did find a broken heater hose joint which I believe was the start of issue for lose of coolant .
i shot about 20psi into the system just now didnt want to over pressurize either didnt see any leaks what so ever. purging the system now with new thermostat and gasket and new or ring for cross over tube plug. im hoping this was the issue.

AFLOCOBRA

Established Member
Vehicle is a dodge.
3.6 pentastar

I just used that ..

Which I just skipped.

so i have a pretty strange situation. i noticed this time around my fan wasnt turning on. so for shits and giggles turned the ac on the fan came on then turned off the ac and the fan stayed running for about 10 seconds and shut off as well so i did it again and this time the fan stayed on by itself. turned off the the car then started it fan came on by itself this time. I had a bunch of coolant flowing out of the bypass tube at the time i tried the ac to kick on the fan..
20220430_111511.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread