Possible trade

Masonb5

Established Member
Didnt know where to post this so figure i'll throw it here. Got an offer to trade my 01 cobra for a 2005 Corvette. Catch is the vette has a flood/salvage title. Owner says the targa top was off and got caught in the rain. He says it smells new and everything works fine. It has 12,500 mile on it and every option you can imagine. Not really a color i would be thrilled with (magnetic red) and has a few scratches on the targa top and on the passenger side door and fender. Not sure what the price would be for a corvette with a salvage title. KBB and NADA show just over 30,000 for a clean title. Here are my stats on the Cobra 2.1 kenne bell, 3.73 gears, and custom exhaust 490hp and does the 1/4 in 11.1. What are your guys thoughts on if this is a good deal or not. I'm thinking if i can get it for mine plus a small amount of cash i could make out ok.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
no offence... but you don't get a flood/salvage title for leaving your top off in the rain... its for sure something more then that... I wouldn't do it.

Plus the resale on the vette will be garbabe because of the salvage title.

Masonb5

Established Member
I was thinking that would be one heck of a long time in the rain to cause there to be salvage title.

Masonb5

Established Member
Just text the guy asking how he managed a salvage title from leaving the top off. His response "to be honest there was no water damage, got in a pinch for $ and you can imagine the rest" ....... think i'm gonna pass

jrandy

Established Member
Just text the guy asking how he managed a salvage title from leaving the top off. His response "to be honest there was no water damage, got in a pinch for $ and you can imagine the rest" ....... think i'm gonna pass

no way would i ever trade for that car. :dw:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't do it. Say you take the trade, put 50,000-100,000 miles on it and want to sell it. Now you have a car with a bunch of miles and a salvage title. You'll have to pay someone to take it away, it will be worth nothing.

Not only that, but if the guy is so dumb as to leave the top off in the rain, what else has he done to the car? Not change the oil?

I'd skip it. Good luck whichever way you go with it.

Jtaugner

Established Member
I wouldn't say it's to far out of the realm of being possible.

When I bought my Vette' the dealer and insurance both told me that any water damage usually ends up in a total on Corvettes.

People don't understand how many electrical components that car operates with. Once it gets water damage you start getting electrical gremlins up the @ss and it's never the same car.

Hell mine was bought brand new in 2010, never had any water contact and I still had electrical gremlins up the @ss. Car is extremely sensitive to battery voltage and anything not perfect.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Water damaged will usually total any vehicle.

He is willing to give you the Corvette PLUS cash for your car>???

If I was in your position I wouldn't be sitting here on the computer, I would be making the deal.
Then that Corvette would be going right on eBay with no reserve to the highest bidder!

Masonb5

Established Member
He is wanting my car and a small amount of cash from me, i'd be fine if the title was legit salvage. but with a insurance fraud thing going on i'm not thrilled. i know it couldnt really come back to me but not a fan of the whole situation.

the.greg

Established Member
I bought a salvaged titled car once and won't ever do it again. If you move to another state, some states require the car to be re-inspected to make sure its still safe to be on the road. I had to do this when moving my old car from NC to GA. It is just a pain, plus like others have said, when you try to sell it/trade it in you will take a loss. When I tried to trade my old salvaged title 98gt at a dealership they offered my 500$, I said the wheels are worth more and sold it privately for 5k.

Users who are viewing this thread