Possible to edit a locked tune?

Weslsew

Established Member
I bought a cobra already tuned. I just installed a 170 thermostat and I want to change my fan settings accordingly. The car came with an x2, and apprently the tune is locked because there are no settings available to me on the x2 other than to install tune. I tried to contact the guy that tuned it but apparently he can't find the tune file.

Is there anything I can do just to change the can settings or do I have to get an entirely new tune? I guess is there any way to extract the tune from the x2 where I can email it back to the tuner for edits?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
As far as I know you can't get them off the handheld. The files that the handheld use are .cef and are essentially compiled/encrypted. The Advantage software uses .mtf files then exports the .cef files for the handheld. Even if you could retrieve the file off the handheld I don't know if anyone could do anything with it. I'm really new to this whole writing your own tune stuff but that's my understanding so far.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Nope. Can't be done. What's on your device is one format and what we work with on the origination level is another. We build in .mtf and either load directly to a device (and it can't be pulled back off) or we email it to the client to self-load in .cef format (the current format).

If you try to reload the tune are there no user-defined options left available for you?

Alternately you could just email the tuner and have them email you a revision (although it will likely be a completely new tune at a new-tune cost since you're a new owner and if it's an X2 it's been a while). You're better off just ponying up and going new anyway because you'll get the latest files they have.

I'd also highly suggest upgrading that device. A new X4 will datalog better, has a color screen, rotating screen, is smaller, faster, etc AND SCT will support it. Not so much for the X2.

Let me know if I can be of assistance if you don't go to the original tuner.

bj

03Steve

Established Member
If the tune is installed on the PCM it can be recovered. As far as the X2 goes, I would keep that unit for an 03 Cobra or any EECV car over an X4.

Weslsew

Established Member
If the tune is installed on the PCM it can be recovered. As far as the X2 goes, I would keep that unit for an 03 Cobra or any EECV car over an X4.

Can be recovered? How so? Also, why keep the x2? It has basically no features

ZeroSVT

Established Member
SCT can extract it, but you have to have a damn good reason for them to. If you were local, I could dump your pcm out to a BIN, then you could send that to SCT to get converted into a MTF.

THE X4 and EEC-V do not get along at all. X2 is best for your setup, the X3's are even a little sketchy.

-Matt

Weslsew

Established Member
Nope. Can't be done. What's on your device is one format and what we work with on the origination level is another. We build in .mtf and either load directly to a device (and it can't be pulled back off) or we email it to the client to self-load in .cef format (the current format).

If you try to reload the tune are there no user-defined options left available for you?

Alternately you could just email the tuner and have them email you a revision (although it will likely be a completely new tune at a new-tune cost since you're a new owner and if it's an X2 it's been a while). You're better off just ponying up and going new anyway because you'll get the latest files they have.

I'd also highly suggest upgrading that device. A new X4 will datalog better, has a color screen, rotating screen, is smaller, faster, etc AND SCT will support it. Not so much for the X2.

Let me know if I can be of assistance if you don't go to the original tuner.

bj

I haven't reloaded the tune, is that normally when it brings up the ability to change things? I'll try that. I will probably have you guys tune it at some point after I put on a tvs, but that will be quite a while in the future haha

Thanks guys for the help, that's pretty much what I was afraid of. Im gonna just see how it does and probably gonna look into setting up my aeroforce interceptor to just control the fan. Should be easier and cheaper than a retune just for fan settings

Users who are viewing this thread