Possible That My Idler Pulley Is Going Bad?

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I have a rather loud squeak coming from the front of my motor. I have narrowed it down to one of the idler pullies because when I spray a lubricant directly on it, the squeak stops, but comes back after a few minutes. Why would I need a new one after only 10,000 miles? Would the sympton I described be the correct indication that the idler is in in fact need of replacement? Also, where can I buy a replacement? The places I went to said they didnt have any parts for the 03 cobra yet.

03DOHC

Established Member
Where are you spraying the lube? On the belt, on the pulley surface where the belt rides or on the bearing?

03DOHC

Established Member
If you can't get a pulley locally you should be able to buy one from one of the vendors here. If you're spraying it on the bearing only and the noise goes away, you can try and get a replacement bearing from NAPA or something and try to have it pressed in. We always just replaced the whole pulley though.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Didn't we just talk about this somewhere?

Anyway,

After-market pulleys are available, although you will have to bring it in for the parts guy to measure. They don't have any listings for the '03 model year yet. It is the same as a lot of other Ford pulleys though.
About $25 for the pulley and $8 for just the bearing. I got mine at Quest Auto Parts.

Dana

dougwg

Established Member
The stock bearings in the stock idlers don't last forever.... the Lightnings guys know this from experience.

I have the part number for the stock idlers (will post later today)
I also have a part number for the correct replacement bearing (will post later today)

FYI:There are 3 premium bearings
Ford uses a "***" bearing made in Canada
We use "NSK" bearings made in the U.S.A.
1 more that has a stainless shield but it's made in Taiwan(don't remember the name off hand)

I have all 3 numbers and they can be purchased at any bearing supply.

You can also remove the stock idlers , use a pin or other sharp object to remove the shield(be careful), clean and repack the bearing with fresh grease.

Clarafication

Options: (in order of expence)

1)If you catch the bad bearing soon enough just repack with good high temp grease. (almost free) don't OVER pack the bearing!

2)press out the old bearing/s install new ones ($7.00 X number of bearings) more work but much cheaper then option#3

3)purchase new stock idlers ($17 x number of stock idlers)easiest but most expencive

Hope this helps

Doug

Last edited:

bouncer18

Established Member
mine was doing that

took it to the dealer

they CLAIMED my main seal was leaking and it was spraying oil on the belt making it squeek

lol

anyways, yea, it seems to be common

Pulsar

Established Member
Go back to your dealer.

It's a known problem, and they are just starting to release new idlers with nylon races that deaden the engine vibration that is causing the issue.

The new ones are advertised at 10x the lifetime of the old.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
Mine just started making the noise last week. I took the car in and they said it was the supercharger. After they changed it, I still had the noise. My noise is coming from the belt tensioner pulley. I took it to another dealership and the guy was really cool. He ordered me three and is just giving them to me.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
D/L,

Although they misdiagnosed the problem, apparently they did the work correctly. They should definitely be able to handle a pulley or two. You would think that would be an easy one to figure out?!?!

Why didn't you go back to the dealer that changed the S/C?
Just curious...
Dana

Users who are viewing this thread