Possible Scammer on Autotrader

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
This was a response I got back in an email for a 06 viper add posted on Autotrader.com, heres the link.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rs=&transmission=&max_price=26000&cardist=190

Hello,

I am Cecil Allen, seller of the 2006 Dodge Viper on Autotrader that you have asked about. You can see pictures of the car here: http://www.geocities.com/epiquetopgear/dodgev. The car has been very well maintained and garaged with little use, only 2,800 miles. It is in excellent condition. The Viper is flawless inside and out. The interior is in like new condition and has never been smoked in. The VIN# is 1B3JZ69Z56V100655. I have the clear title in hand. You will receive all paperwork, title, keys, owner manual and receipts that you need to register it in your name. I'll ship it by DAS and it will take no more then 3 days to get to you. The total price including shipping is $25,000. As I listed the car with Auto Trader and Yahoo Autos, they will handle the financial transaction so we can be 100% protected and insured. If you commit to buy the car please sign up at www.autos.yahoo.com, activate your email and let me know your yahoo id, full name and the shipping address so I can contact them and set up the transaction and also make shipping arrangements. I am not in US for now so I cannot meet you in person and complete the deal. I have left the car at the shipper in Florida. I just have to contact them so they car start delivery to your address. Sorry I cannot do this in person but I'm gone with some important family problems and I must sell the car asap. Thanks and hope we can close the deal soon.

Cecil Allen.

I sent this guy an email because I wanted a good laugh. I knew there was no way a car with a 70,000 dollar blue book value would be allowed to go for 25k. Can i report this guy? What do you guys think? I thought Autotrader wouldn't allow such horse crap on their site.

pharmd2010

Established Member
Yes, you can report it. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen ads like this... It really gets annoying. Are people really that stupid to get taken on something like that!?!?

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Yes, you can report it. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen ads like this... It really gets annoying. Are people really that stupid to get taken on something like that!?!?

Well I've seen them on craigslist, and a bunch of other smaller time free sites. But Autotrader! I've bought my last 3 cars off this site.

I doubt there's much the SVTP ninjas can do to get this guy, but what would be my best course of action to get this guy smacked hard by the law?

stangkid

Established Member
He has a phone # listed call it and see what he says.

Seller's Description and Comments
2006 DODGE VIPER SRT-10, contact me for more info: [email protected] , $25000, 321-751-2966

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
He has a phone # listed call it and see what he says.

Seller's Description and Comments
2006 DODGE VIPER SRT-10, contact me for more info: [email protected] , $25000, 321-751-2966

I am more than aware he posted a phone number, and that's its most definitely a scam. I just wanted to see what i could do to get this guy into some major trouble. Calling him up and messing with the guy doesn't seem to get anything accomplished.

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
Scammer checklist:

1.) Dude is out of country and cannot be confronted
2.) Selling the car for a 1/3 of blue book value with only 2800 miles on it
3.) Guy has two first names as a whole name. This is common with scammers.
4.) Guy is a complete moron that thinks he can actually scam someone

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
that would be funny if txyaloo or somebody followed through and got this guy. what would be even funnier is if it was an actual deal and the guy just needed the money desperatley, then txyaloo posts about his new viper..lol..

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Scammer checklist:

1.) Dude is out of country and cannot be confronted
2.) Selling the car for a 1/3 of blue book value with only 2800 miles on it
3.) Guy has two first names as a whole name. This is common with scammers.
4.) Guy is a complete moron that thinks he can actually scam someone

ricky bobby???

all they need is one out of 1,000,000 to fall for it and they got 25k and you best believe there is that one right now that is gathering up the money for such a great deal.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
This was a response I got back in an email for a 06 viper add posted on Autotrader.com, heres the link.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rs=&transmission=&max_price=26000&cardist=190

I sent this guy an email because I wanted a good laugh. I knew there was no way a car with a 70,000 dollar blue book value would be allowed to go for 25k. Can i report this guy? What do you guys think? I thought Autotrader wouldn't allow such horse crap on their site.

I know the people VERY well at auto trader. I am amazed that these dumb bastards would post this on that site.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
report it to autotrader so they can red flag it for investigation, im sure they would like to stop scams

codip426

Durrp
Established Member
I see it all the time. Unfortunately it goes as far as any car with a high value.

I actually looked at this car on autotrader too. It is a huge scam.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
those are popping up on Autotrader alot nowadays. When I was looking for my mystichrome (which I found on Autotrader) I came across several fake ads. Two were 06 Saleen Extremes for under $30k. I called Autotrader to report them and they did cancel the ad within 15 min, kudos to them.

One ad though is a silver 04 cobra at a valid Ford dealership up near Chicago I believe. It lists mystichrome vert for $28k but all the pics are a silver car. I called them to see if they really had a MC, but the "internet manager" wouldnt return my calls. I finally got pissed and called the Sales Manager and he said the ad was an error and he would fix it. Here it is 2 months later and the ad is still up there.

I think its a new type of bait and switch, which was highly illegal in most states. Damn dealers just cannot be honest to save their lives.

Users who are viewing this thread