Possible rod knock or wrist pin

XYZ Productions

Established Member
Possible rod knock or wrist pin??? help please

Ok so hopefully some people on the forums can give me a good idea of what to do. I have a 2007 4.6L with 110k miles. Hasn't really been driven too hard and largely well taken care of.

Last week I changed the oil on my car, from Royal Purple 5w-20 to Valvoline max life 5w-20. Drove the car around for about 10 minutes and then the engine started knocking. Engine doesn't feel any different powerwise but the knocking is faster with the RPMs.

After my master-tech friend listened over the phone he thinks it sounds like a rod bearing. I drove it over to my fiance's mechanic and he thinks it sounds like a wrist pin. The car is currently for sale and I don't want to put a ton of money into it just to be turning around and selling it.

What kind of fix am I looking at? Is it worth the time to repair the damaged bearing/pin or just lower the price of the car and have someone else take care of it.

Also, is it possible to replace the one cylinder that's acting up, or is it more cost effective to try and replace the motor. Never dealt with this before, and honestly surprised this happened on a newer car. I had a 98 that I beat the piss out of and it never had a single problem. Any suggestions? I wish I had a video to post of the sound, I can tomorrow. Some forums say lash valve or something.

Any input would be great.

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Kind of vague ...very difficult to diagnose engine noise over the net.
In my experiences it is possible to find the offensive cylinder, and replace a bad bearing IF there is no crank damage .
Others will say nay to this ,but it is a proven fix.
If you have a wrist pin problem, I would find a wrecking yard and buy a longblock.
Time is money and a wrist pin problem is going to require a full tear down ,thus all gaskets etc...
Hope this is helpful.

XYZ Productions

Established Member
Especially since most labor rates in my area are $85/hr I am assuming 15-18 hours. At that point it almost isn't worth it to repair.

Is there a clear way to tell what it is? I unplugged each of the ignition coils to try to identify which cylinder it might be and the knocking never stopped.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Especially since most labor rates in my area are $85/hr I am assuming 15-18 hours. At that point it almost isn't worth it to repair.

Is there a clear way to tell what it is? I unplugged each of the ignition coils to try to identify which cylinder it might be and the knocking never stopped.

Pulling the coils doesn't stop the piston from moving, so if its a mechanical issue vice an electrical one it will still be there. If it is a bearing, my bet would be the others aren't far behind in making noise.

Users who are viewing this thread