Possible Rod Bearing...

jrobinsonchicag

Established Member
Watch the videos below for the sound...

Scenario - I'm getting a ticking / knocking noise from cylinder 8. I originally lost a lot of power, which I thought was due to the tick. I ran the codes and had a misfire in cylinder 4 and 7.

So I replaced all of the plugs and coils. Runs great now. However the tick is still there. Even when I pull the connection for cylinder 8, the tick / knock remains.

I thought if it were a rod bearing the tick / knock would stop when pulling the electrical connector on top of the coil.

The plug has not blown out either. I'm stuck. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Tick starts at 1:03

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-5hsCMfhk&playnext_from=TL&videos=SmMDU2TqWp8"]YouTube- 1996 Ford Mustang Cobra engine noise/outside the car[/nomedia]

Ignore the loud power steering... listen for the tick

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7f3o1DgUU&playnext_from=TL&videos=2XtuqQVkqjI"]YouTube- Ford Thunderbird motor knock[/nomedia]

My Motor...

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JJJoEEVf3w[/nomedia]

Last edited:

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
If you have a spun rod bearing, it's going to make noise whether or not its cylinder is firing. I just pulled apart an engine with a spun bearing, and that engine's ticking was louder than on the videos you posted, with a deeper knocking sound. In my opinion, your noise seems to be coming from the valve train, but listening to it on YouTube is far from ideal.

jrobinsonchicag

Established Member
If you have a spun rod bearing, it's going to make noise whether or not its cylinder is firing. I just pulled apart an engine with a spun bearing, and that engine's ticking was louder than on the videos you posted, with a deeper knocking sound. In my opinion, your noise seems to be coming from the valve train, but listening to it on YouTube is far from ideal.

Same noise by another member. Neither of us can diagnose it...

2000 Mustang tapping noise from under the motor - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That engine looks to be missing some valves. 16 of them to be exact, I bet that's the source of the noise! haha

MightyMo

Established Member
Pull the valve covers off and look at the cam lobes and for any loose parts, pull the plugs and take a look, check the header bolts and motor mounts.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Isn't the ticking from a damaged valve seat or something?

Thought always happened due to the poor cooling around the rear cylinders on driver's side?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
If you think you have a spun bearing, drain your oil. If it looks like it has glitter in it, you've found the problem.

don cobra

Banned
Just keep it with good oil and it can last you while. Thats if you have no funds to fix it now.

If its bad bearing keep up the oil. Mine has been having bad rod bearing/s since 2007( being boosted and pushing 500rwhp:nonono:). But i think its time to rebuild now though:banana:.

Users who are viewing this thread