Possible race with LS1, need advice

wti01bullitt

Established Member
I have a guy here in Phoenix that wants to race me. The guy has a 01 trans am with an automatic. He says he only has a LS6 intake, exhaust, and a cam. His buddy also said he has some new fuel pump. According to him he has put over 380 rwhp down. He won't pop his hood or trunk and wont say if he has gears or not. Is that about right for power on an auto car or is something not right about his story?

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
380rwhp depending on cam and supporting mods is about right for an A4 LS1. LS1's are like a box of chocolates as you can go wild or mild. 380rwhp cam only A4 is a larger cam. Most Heads @ Cam A4's are 400+rwhp. Does he have a stall converter? If not he's not gonna run anywhere close to his full potential on the stock stall.
With those mods he does not require a new higher flow fuel pump. Combine that with the fact he won't pop his hood and he might have a little giggle juice in there.

Best of luck with the race!

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Imho, the camaros/firebirds I know most use the n2o with other bolt ons to get rwhp. Like Ryan02ss said it would take a more serious cam, you could tell on the idle as the guy would likely have exh. If it sounds stock, its got n2o unless mild cam and n2o, hard to tell if he would have a h/s converter but I would assume so, makes a big difference with tires. I saw a ls1 transam stock auto with n2o run a c5 sat. and win twice in the 1/4. I estimate the t/a in the high 12's.

wti01bullitt

Established Member
Ryan02SS said:
380rwhp depending on cam and supporting mods is about right for an A4 LS1. LS1's are like a box of chocolates as you can go wild or mild. 380rwhp cam only A4 is a larger cam. Most Heads @ Cam A4's are 400+rwhp. Does he have a stall converter? If not he's not gonna run anywhere close to his full potential on the stock stall.
With those mods he does not require a new higher flow fuel pump. Combine that with the fact he won't pop his hood and he might have a little giggle juice in there.

Best of luck with the race!

His buddy said its a build auto with a 3200 stall.

joegt38

Established Member
I know someone with a z with close to the same mods and a stall they run like 12.2-4 (I forgot 12.2 or 12.4)...

With your mods if you hook you'll whip him.... :rockon:

Last edited:

rphinney

Established Member
wti01bullitt said:
Why would I lose to a 380 rwhp trans am? Last time I dynoed at 9-10 psi I hit 447 rwhp and 418 rwtq.

If you have 447 RWHP what the hell are you asking questions for? You asked the question and assuming you are a stock Bullitt he told you the truth. Sounds like you already know the outcome of the race why are we all wasitng our time. :shrug:

TNTramair

Established Member
if hes correct in all the mod list you will have a hard time winning...and if you do, you'll be playin catch up most of the race....friend of mine with only 372rwhp and a 3200stall on full slicks runs 11.80's all day long. so if hes on dr's and hes got a little more power he might be around low 12's or so. if hes spraying...than your in a heap of shit!! low 11's with traps in the 120's. good luck.

wti01bullitt

Established Member
rphinney said:
If you have 447 RWHP what the hell are you asking questions for? You asked the question and assuming you are a stock Bullitt he told you the truth. Sounds like you already know the outcome of the race why are we all wasitng our time. :shrug:

I'm not more or less questioning the outcome but, wondering if his power level is about right. The car runs strong so I'm wondering if his numbers are legit or if he's hiding something.

rphinney

Established Member
wti01bullitt said:
I'm not more or less questioning the outcome but, wondering if his power level is about right. The car runs strong so I'm wondering if his numbers are legit or if he's hiding something.

Your biggest concern should be the tranny, if he has the stock stall it will take lots of power to beat you. Just race him and find out.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Cahill00SS said:
they come with a LS6 intake stock

That's what I was thinking. IF those are the only mods he has you should beat him. From a roll you will destroy him. Good luck and get a video :pepper:

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
wti01bullitt said:
Why would I lose to a 380 rwhp trans am? Last time I dynoed at 9-10 psi I hit 447 rwhp and 418 rwtq.

If he dynoed 380 N/A and he sprays you on a 100 pill you're gonna lose.

I had a cam-only 98 Z28 that ran 11.6s on drag radials and stock suspension. Never underestimate the opponents car.

wti01bullitt

Established Member
I don't really want to say hes lying about whats done to the car, but why would his buddy have said he had a new fuel pump and make a point of it if he didn't have anything besides a cam? I know hes quick, but hes never been to the track so I don't know what he runs. I trapped 112 the last time I ran at the track and that was at 350 rwhp.

TNTramair

Established Member
his buddy could just be ignorant and not know any better..in regards to the fuel pump comment...like its gonna make a differance. i cant count how many times people have told me what type of plugs they have in the car like it makes some huge differance...know what i mean? chances are, hes spraying.

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
If he's making a big deal about the fuel pump then he's spraying. Why else would he need one?

Users who are viewing this thread