Possible problem with shifter

Big_Torch

Banned
So I've had my MGW shifter and loved it since the day I put it in, best thing I have done to my car.

Starting to notice when I'm at a stop light and go to wiggle the shifter in neutral, it likes to play to the left, but takes a good effort to go right, I figured thats normal(dont know why lol)

But also sometimes it doesnt like to go into first. But I can muscle it through or go neutral and put it in. Have no idea what is making it do this. I could make a guess at syncro's but i dont know squat about em. Car has slightly under 20k miles and mods in sig.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
I have the exact same issue. Seems to prefer moving left, and once in a while can't get into first... :shrug:

I'll see if it loosens up with some miles. The car's only got about 2000 miles on it, and evrything is still pretty tight.. I might try moving to syncromesh just to see....

Big_Torch

Banned
shifter has about 5k miles on it, with redline fluid. good to hear this isnt a problem problem.

Just found out my IAC is bad so im trying to fix all the little fixmeups deals in one shot.

Fallguy

Established Member
OH that's F'n great.... I could'nt decide between a 5.0 or a Steeda shifter and read so many good thing's about MGW that I just bought one.

NO YA TELL ME !!!!

Good luck.

RJCobra

Established Member
Big_Torch said:
So I've had my MGW shifter and loved it since the day I put it in, best thing I have done to my car.

Starting to notice when I'm at a stop light and go to wiggle the shifter in neutral, it likes to play to the left, but takes a good effort to go right, I figured thats normal(dont know why lol)

But also sometimes it doesnt like to go into first. But I can muscle it through or go neutral and put it in. Have no idea what is making it do this. I could make a guess at syncro's but i dont know squat about em. Car has slightly under 20k miles and mods in sig.
Mine did that sometimes with the stock shifter also?

Big_Torch

Banned
Honestly I think it has NOTHING to do with the MGW. If anything I think its something underneath, who knows probably just another cobra issue like the "clunk".

Don't let this sway you from MGW, best shifter period, bar none. There is absolutly no comparison.

RossSVT

Established Member
If you have an early version of the shifter, George has upgraded the internal springs. Call George at MGW and he will make it right. If it's the shifter that is. I had an early version and it did the same thing. Changed the springs and it's great. No problems in over 2,000 miles.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
As for the tranny not going into 1st (or being hard to put in 1st) I don't think that is a shifter issue my car does it sometimes. Very briefly it will not go into 1st and i have to put it in second then 1st. I have the stock shitty shifter right now -- thought it was a syncro issue but it dosent happen alot just once in a while not to mention my buddies 03 does the same thing -- :burnout:

Ricks03

Established Member
Mine was not returning to center while in neutral and also very stiff when shifting. Nosiey and clunky when letting off the clutch in 1st or 2nd. Clunked when going into 1st. This was happening for as long as I can remember. Tried the pro 5.0 and MGW shifter with no improvement. Took it to the dealer at 1000 miles, 5000 miles and then again at 22,000 miles. They said its normal for the tranny to have some noise. I wasn't satisfied so I took it to a different SVT dealer and they felt something was wrong and had one of the field reps, I guess from SVT take a look at it. They replaced the tranny and clutch under warranty. The bottom line was the shift rail was worn and the case was bent. It felt like this was the problem since the car was new. Now the car shift easy, smooth and tranny is very quiet except for a little flutter sound in 6th when I accelerate. Noticable improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread