Possible PATS problem?

Cobranator

Established Member
I've spent the last hour doing a search on problems with the PATS system and I'm none the wiser as I could not find any threads with the same issue I have. Hopefully someone can shine a light on whats going on with my car.

I went to start the car today and as I turned the key the "Theft" light was flashing continuously, the engine started and quickly died. Turned it off and tried a few more times with the same result. I tried the second key and the car started no problem. Shut it off and tried the first key again and it started with no problem.Drove around town came home and tried it again later and had the same problem. Tried to start the car and got a flashing theft light again with the engine briefly starting and then dying. Tried the second key and had no problem at all car started. Shut it off and tried the first key again and it worked with no problem car started. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Normally when the key is turned to on position the theft light comes on briefly and then goes off which is what should happen and allows you to start the car. However if the key is turned on and the theft light flashes continuously the car won't start. Seems like I have an intermittent problem.

The keys are original and I've never had any problems with them for the last 27 years or the car itself. Never had to reprogram the keys. This is the first issue I have with this car. Also no check engine light. Car is a 96 Cobra.

Hooked up my code reader and and there are no stored codes or pending codes. Did a live running test and I get all green check marks. Does anyone have an ideas as to what's going on with this thing? Don't really want to carry both keys with me every time I want to drive the car. Thanks for any info.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My 98 cobra is doing the same shit, theft light flashes and won’t go out. Except mine won’t even crank, initially thought it was the battery, so I bought a new batt, no dice. I might try turning off pats in the tune with hptuners.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Wonder if the chip in key #1 is going out but it’s odd it starts then dies.

Pats disables the fuel pump so it should crank all day but not fire up

Cobranator

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys.

Went out to start the car again this morning and it started with either key on the first try, no problem, as it always has. Not sure why there is/was an intermittent problem needles to say I'm flustered. Maybe there is a loose ground/connection somewhere though not sure where to start to look for it. Or could there have been some kind of a glitch in the PATS system? I'll try to disconnect the battery and maybe the system will default to the original settings.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info guys.

Went out to start the car again this morning and it started with either key on the first try, no problem, as it always has. Not sure why there is/was an intermittent problem needles to say I'm flustered. Maybe there is a loose ground/connection somewhere though not sure where to start to look for it. Or could there have been some kind of a glitch in the PATS system? I'll try to disconnect the battery and maybe the system will default to the original settings.

There is some kind of receiver in the column for pats but again seriously odd it would only have issues with that one key

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly - keep it simple man, use that second key for a while. If you don’t have any problems replace that other key

Shocker6

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and it was driving me bananas.
It turned out that the positive side of the battery had a loose connection. It looked good at first sight, all squared up, etc…glad I checked anyways.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and it was driving me bananas.
It turned out that the positive side of the battery had a loose connection. It looked good at first sight, all squared up, etc…glad I checked anyways.

I was just going to suggest checking the connection at the battery/low voltage.

shurur

Established Member
Big guess on my part....but gonna say....intermittent or temperature sensitive crank sensor failure..or crank wire-connector issue.

Pull on the wires from the crank sensor connector.

Last edited:

Cobranator

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Checked alternator and battery condition and both check out OK. Will check the crank position sensor_/ wire connection. Thx again.

Thax

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
You have a loose connection somewhere between the battery terminals & your ignition circuit, that's why it's intermittent & not throwing any DTC's.

Pull out a multimeter & check the voltage at your fuel pump connector to effectively confirm it's being shut off via PATS.

Personally I would just disable the PATS system altogether; whatever you do don't start throwing parts at this

Users who are viewing this thread