Possible new issue with transmission

guille

Established Member
My 03 Cobra has not been started in the last 6 days. When I started her up today, I noticed some strange noises and a vibration on the shifter. It happens when I let go the clutch, goes away when I press it. It sounded like something was grinding and the car ran kinda rough too. The problem went away after running a few minutes. Could the tranny be low on fluid or is this normall for the T56? The T45 on my 99 Cobra never did this.

guille

Established Member
I also hear a rubing sound from below when ever the clutch is depressed. Never noticed it before. This sound does not go away even after driving the car for a long while.

mtor9477

Established Member
Took mine in to the dealership for this similar problem that I thought I had. They drove it, and drove it, and drove it until the head technician basically concluded (after driving another Cobra), that those are the T56'd normal operating conditions. I feel kind-of a grind/crunch into 2nd to 3rd and back down from time to time and sometimes more than usual. And you can hear the clutch kind-of 'clunk' when you let go of it while changing gears. That's all I've got!

SVCOBRA

Established Member
Chatter or Low Pitched Grumble?

My '03 made a chattering sound the first time I started it up at the dealer's. I ended up taking it anyway and it didn't go away. It sounded like a traditional throwout bearing noise. I brought it in for service and they replaced the throwout bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate (took 2 weeks). Then it made no noise.
THEN... I installed a Pro 5.0 shifter, without the rubber handle bushings, and I now hear a constant whirr and low pitched grinding sound while I'm driving. It's not load by any means but I can hear it. I concluded that it's normal and is now just amplified through the steel shifter handle. Sound does travel better through harder, solid materials than through rubber bubshings.
Just my theory...

Users who are viewing this thread