possible injector leak

SLOWNED

Established Member
Can you guys tell me if this is normal? I took a short video of my fuel pressure drop because i suspect that i may have a leaking fuel injector. Whenever i start the car it needs to crank for about 10 seconds before barely starting up. I also noticed that my wideband has been reading on the rich side while cruising around.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpW97WsvU7Y"]YouTube - Cobra fuel pressure[/nomedia]

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if it is leaking you are likely to smell fuel when driving with the air on, is there any fuel smell?

SLOWNED

Established Member
Are you referring to an external leak? I was referring to an injector leak into the combustion chamber. I can certainly smell unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust, which i expect because of the rich condition.

nestmendoza98

Established Member
Does this just start happening? Check the plugsrich conditions will foul out the plugs. Any codes? A rich condition will also throw out a code. (check engine light) Any performance issues? When driving does the car stumble or surge?

SLOWNED

Established Member
One plug was real black compared to all the others and yes i did throw a p0175. The car generally runs alright, although it does kinda stumble when i get on it. My main problem is the long starts. I have to crank and crank and crank until it finally starts...and even then its kind of a weak start.

nestmendoza98

Established Member
ill check tomorrow on my modis scan tool what that code is at the shop. If its fouling out the plugs than youll have a mis fire code from what ever cylinder and the o2 sensors will go nuts trying to lean out th engine. You would have multiple codes if the injector was sticking open. This could be the start of it, but let me see what the code reads first.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Are you referring to an external leak? I was referring to an injector leak into the combustion chamber. I can certainly smell unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust, which i expect because of the rich condition.

I assumed you were referencing an external leak, I have had one do to a torn o-ring before, which is where my assumption came from.

nestmendoza98

Established Member
When injectors leak, theyre bad, Get new ones. or atleast the one thats leaking. GM le sabre injectors are notorious for leaking injectors, theyll light the car on fire, Ive seen it happen. HAHA!

Users who are viewing this thread