Possible IC Pump replacement

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
So Ive been doing some digging on the webz and the CWA50 and CWA100 are hot topics for euro forced induction guys. Of course, this is the Pierberg pump that is used on a lot of Mercedes and BMW’s....sells for what looks like around $200. But...Dorman makes a replacement. Anyone ever use one?

dorman 902065 (Dorman Products - 902-065)

I may order one just to see what it flows....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Def not. Thanks for the offer. Looking for more flow, just some alternatives to the more popular aftermarket pumps. Thanks, tho.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I was doing a ton of reading on the MB boards about this, planned on doing some flow testing over the winter but never found the time to get around to it. Was gonna play with a few different pumps, dual pump setups (series vs parallel) at different pressures. Cant wait to see what you come up with!!!

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
I've got a Meziere remote pump with only a few hrs on it

Sent from my XT1650 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

There's been enough testing on the Meziere to say that it's not worth it. Again, thanks.

Everyone: I know which pumps I'm going for here, thanks for the offers on the others but right now, I'm going to target the Dorman to see how that compares to the real Pierburg and I am trying to get my hands on a Vaarimax. Lingenfelter actually rates the Varimax on par with the ZL1IC pump. This a really nice pump for not a lot of money.

If you haven't read this yet, I strongly recommend it: Intercooler pump flow testing results - Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Forum.

I was doing a ton of reading on the MB boards about this, planned on doing some flow testing over the winter but never found the time to get around to it. Was gonna play with a few different pumps, dual pump setups (series vs parallel) at different pressures. Cant wait to see what you come up with!!!

YES! Ton of good info on there and an Audi board I found, too!! I'm not sure how deep I'll get into this, considering most of the testing has been done, but that dorman pump has me really curious, esp for $100...but you know, you get what you pay for...

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
That's interesting. I'm skeptical it's the same pump. I think they have multiple pumps for different purposes. It looks shorter, with a plastic housing instead of aluminum, and different connector than the CWA 50/100. The connector isn't even facing the same direction as the Pierbergs. I ran the one Mercedes number for the Dorman and it shows a similar part that looks to match a Bosch unit, sometimes described as a "heater auxiliary pump." I don't think this is an equivalent of the one(s) you're looking for.

FWIW I scored my CWA50 using the BMW part number on ebay, not too much more than $100. Right now there's a CWA100 going for $273 using the Pierbeurg number, which seems like a great deal.

Keep in mind when looking at pumps that intercoolers are very high restriction, and pumps with great free flow rates (like bilge pumps or engine water pumps) often drop significantly at higher restriction compared to specific intercooler pumps.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Scored a varimax for a great price. Just gotta make a harness for it and mount it when it gets here.

I may still end up doing the four seasons replacement of the Pierberg and see how it flows. It has 3/4” inlet and outlet.

Last edited:

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Does anyone know where I can get the Bosch to varimax harness?? Seems Lingenfelter is out.

L480340000 is the part number.

Users who are viewing this thread