Possible head-gasket?

Richter888

Established Member
So I have had a fairly bad coolant leak for a couple weeks. Today, i decided to troubleshoot the leak and I thought my radiator must be cracked. I removed the fan so I could see the radiator more clearly. It does not leak from the reservoir nor from any hoses from what I can tell.

However, it did not leak while I had the fan removed and the engine was running. I let the car reach operating temp and turned it off. THIS is when it started leaking from the radiator.So I let the car cool for about 10 min and then started it back up. At that time, the car release a MASSIVE cloud of white smoke. The coolant system had straight water in it, so I could not be absolutely sure it was coolant due to the smell, but I am going to assume it was at this point.

So, in your guy's opinion. Is this a sign that the head-gasket is blown? I figure it is, but wanted to get some other opinions on it. I'm probably going to contact MMR to see what their current turn around time is on longblock rebuilds. If I rebuild this, I am going to shoot for 600+ WHP. I already have a TVS waiting in my closet...

Modification in sig.

Mr Patience

Canadian Eh!
Established Member
If its building pressure in the cooling system due to a head gasket you can try removing the rad cap, start the car and watch for bubbles....plus all the regular things like drain the oil and look for water...check the plugs...and so on.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
They make a little kit to test for exhaust gas in the coolant. You can normally rent the equipment from your part's store, but you have to buy a bottle of test fluid. $15 to know for sure if you're pressurizing the cooling system with exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread