Possible failed FRPS

DSGNator

Established Member
My car has always had an issue with randomly shutting of during deceleration at low speeds. Normally approaching a turn or a red light. It's always been completely random and whenever it happens I've been able to start the car immediately afterwards. I always assumed that it was some sort of tuning issue. It was tuned before I bought it.

Well the problem, if it is the same problem, has gotten much worse. A few weeks ago I was cruising down the road around 55mph and the car died and it wouldn't start again. So I coasted off to the side of the road to figure out the issue. I saw nothing abnormal under the hood so I tried to start it again, it started, but it idled very rough. It would drop down to 200ish rpm and keep bouncing back up to 1000. Eventually it died again. After sitting for another 5 minutes or so I was able to start her just fine and the idle was steady again, as if nothing had ever happened. So I began driving again and everything went smoothly for about 15 minutes. I went to downshift and as I release the clutch the engine chocked pretty hard. I pushed the clutch in to let it coast/idle and it went back into the erratic idle. When I tried to give it gas it was almost unresponsive. I pulled off to the side of the road again and it basically did the exact same thing as 15 minutes prior. I tried driving it from my storage unit to my new garage yesterday, about a 20 mile drive, and the same thing happened twice during that drive.

The car has a KB boost-a-pump, which I'm not very familiar with. The dial is currently and has always been set to just over 10. I've never really messed with it because I don't want to cause the car to run too rich or too lean. When the car isn't shutting off on me it seems to drive more sluggish than it ever has. It definitely doesn't have that pullied cobra feel to it.

Unfortunately I haven't observed the fuel pressure gauge when all this happens because I'm normally in a panic that my car has just shut off in moving traffic. I started watching it while driving and noticed that when cruising it's at around 22psi and when accelerating it's around 25-30psi. I'm not totally sure what normal fuel pressure is for my car.

At this point I'm wondering if my fuel rail pressure sensor is going/has gone bad. Has anyone experienced any symptoms like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

03slaminator

Established Member
Take the frps off and inspect it. Mine had a chunk missing out of it by the o-rings. I replaced it and all is good now. It's on the driver side at the front of the fuel rail closest to the front off the car. There's a vacuum line and an electrical connector ran to it. It's a black square box with a chrome piece that bolts to the fuel rail.

oldmodman

Established Member
When you change it be sure to change the oil at the same time.

Lots of failed FRPS have dumped a lot of fuel directly into the engine diluting the oil.

03slaminator

Established Member
Lol I didn't change mine. I better go get me some oil and a filter tomorrow then! I'm glad you said that. I would have never known. Thanks!!

DSGNator

Established Member
I swapped out the FRPS and she's running fine so far. I read on hear that when the diaphragm in the sensor blows is when fuel gets into the engine. Which is why in some cases the oil will smell like gas. I don't think my diaphragm is what messed up in mine, I believe mine was the electronic part of the sensor. My oil just smells like oil, no gas smell. I'm going to keep checking it periodically just to be sure. But I'm sure an oil change can't hurt.

Svtdestro

When you change it be sure to change the oil at the same time.

Lots of failed FRPS have dumped a lot of fuel directly into the engine diluting the oil.

This just happened to me..what issues will come up with gas in the oil like that? I'm waiting for a sensor and pretty sure my oil has gas in it. The car runs like pure crap right now

oldmodman

Established Member
Depends. if you just got a little gas in your oil it will evaporate out when your engine oil gets hot on a long drive and shouldn't do the engine any harm.

But if you have enough gas in the oil to significantly dilute the oil you could get oil so thin that you could wipe out your main or rod bearings and even harm the cams.

Oil is so cheap I would always just change it. And if you were out on a road trip and changed out the FRPS with a spare that you just happened to have in your tool kit I would take it to a jiffy Lube and get it changed with whatever their best oil is. But if they only have crapoil just stay out of boost until you can get the "good stuff" in it.

Users who are viewing this thread