Porting the SC

DET_SVT02

Established Member
Does it affect the over all boost psi? W/ a 4lb er im at 12psi and in the winter it gets very cold so it jumps higher I dont want to flirt w that 14-15 ledge(its 15 right?).

DET_SVT02

Established Member
SO with a port and 4lber im looking at 14psi not considering ambient air temp. Im on a stock block so am I pushing the limits or pressing my luck its a DD.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
DET_SVT05 said:
Im on a stock block so am I pushing the limits or pressing my luck its a DD.

Yes. Stock motor was designed by Ford for 8 pounds of boost. Anything beyond what it was designed for is pushing the limit.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
Whether it's safe is dependent on the tune, how you drive, condition of the parts.... Sure you can put 18lbs. thru a stock motor. But for how long? Would you call it "Safe" if it lives through 3 passes or 300? Safe is all relative. Even with a safe tune that is closely monitored and dialed in you are still putting stresses that are far above and beyond what the parts were designed to do by simply increasing the power. The more power output the faster the weakest link is going to let go.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
It all depends on the tune, I am running a 4# lower and a Ported Blower. Saw 15 psi on a cool day. I am looking to add a 2.8 upper or slap a 6#lower on witch is the same.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
I run a 6# too. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. 46,000 mile now. I don't beat on it too hard though. My quest is torque under the curve. I am not looking to spin these stock parts too fast. The 4R100 was not designed to be spun much past a diesel's RPM limit either. Happy modding!

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
the difference between the 2# you gain on a port and teh 2# you gain from a 6# pulley is the intake charge temp. Porting the SC will dramatically lower the chargetemp, which gives you a bite more boost. adding a pigger pulley just spins it faster making more boost adn putting more strain.

port the SC and you will see about 2# more boost but the blower is running cooler and spinning at the factory speed.

add a 4# and get a dyno tune, you will be safe withthat on a stock block....

if you really concerned add a larger IC tank and a larger Heat exchanger and try and drop the intake temps..

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Its best if you can get a few of your buddys together and book a few hours.
Down here by me the Dyno time is $150 per hour plus tune

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
bda1855 said:
add a 4# and get a dyno tune, you will be safe withthat on a stock block....

Guys local to my area have thrown rods with less mods and "safe" tunes. Do you know this cats driving habits? How can you make such a statement with such limited info?

Last edited:

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Silver '01 L said:
Guys local to my area have thrown rods with less mods. Do you know this cats driving habits. How can you make such a vague statement?

a Dyno tune not a internet tune, not a ok well i emailed LFP my mods and they emailed me back a tune..

go to a DYNO Jet and have them run the AF ratio the whole time driving it hard, then tweak out a bit of the timing to get it safer..

so long as he is tuning it hard on the dyno and the AF is safe he "Should be fine"

i have never heard of anyone in so cal with a DYNO tune (shaun ellis or Danny swanson) throwing a rod with just a 4# pounder..

correction.. i should say they havnt thrown a rod because of the 4# and their tune..

if he runs crappy plugs, or hammers it in 32 degree weather he is an idiot..

or if he hears it ping nad floors it thinking hmm whats that.. he deserves to have a rod shoot out the side..

drive it hard and you will HAVE to baby it and maintain it alot more!

Last edited:

DET_SVT02

Established Member
Think im going to just stick w a 4lb and tune until the block gets built. It gets pretty damn cold here in the winter always see an extra 2lbs of boost and can feel it get alot stronger as well.

Users who are viewing this thread